• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still hunting for M813 troop seats

Ajax MD

Gents,

I'm still hunting for troop seats for a base model (fixed side bed) M813. I've had many conversations with people who claim that there's no difference between the seats for the M809 and the M939 series. I've figured out what the difference is:

On the base, fixed side truck there is NO "step" on the front section of the bed for those 2 foot side boards. That is only on the drop-side beds (M813A1 and all M939 trucks). The troop seats I need, were common on the old M39 series 5-tons (M54 cargo truck). If you look at the bed, the fixed sides are completely flat from front to rear and the troop seats would be 12 feet long. The uprights are 2' 9" apart instead of exactly 3 feet apart. Observe the attached photos. On the A1 model (stuffed with troops fording a river) you can see the dropside hinges and the 2 foot "step-up" section that requires the sideboard. On the M54 and M813 base model photos, you can see that the bed is completely flat and the troop seats run the entire length of the bed.

Here are my options:

Find an old set of M54/M813 (base model) troop seats
Find an old wooden set of M35 troop seats, dismantle them, rip new wooden slats and reassemble with the uprights at the proper interval AND scavenge two additional uprights for the extra 2 feet.

If anyone has any leads for me on these parts, please let me know.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you inquired with Stephan Wood Products? https://www.stephanwoodproducts.com/

I have an older price list from them that lists all part numbers that come back for that bed in the -34P-1...
8758138: 14' Right side seat & back assembly
8758124: 12' Left side seat & back assembly
8758064: Left side (spare tire) gate assembly (I have seen them complete on eBay. PM me for link)
8758177: Left front post (Also on eBay)
8758082: Front rack assembly
If they are still in their system, they will ship them unassembled to you in either 686 sand, 383 green or unpainted. Fair warning...it may not be cheap.

The center pocket stakes, seat legs and hinge hardware all come back with the same part numbers regardless of bed type. They are the same on the M35A2 also. It's the corner stakes that have differing part numbers...
8758132: Right rear/Left front
8758130: Right front/Left rear
To that end, I am not sure of the difference from the other part numbers (10937495 & 6).

I'd say get a set of new or old deuce or M813A1 and re-use all those parts. Rip new slats from a hardwood or order bulk fiberglass slats from Stephan Wood. Replace all the nuts, bolts and washers with new. The front rack part numbers are different between truck models and bed types. I am not sure if there would be any compatibility there.

Ajax MD

@MyothersanM1 I'd never heard of Stephan Wood. I'll check it out, thanks!

Edit: Well, I know where there are brand-new, fiberglass A1 seats. As near as I can determine, they will be 2 feet short because of the 2-foot side boards that are on the drop-side bed and the uprights will not line up with mine. It seems kind of brutal to destroy a new set of fiberglass seats just to reuse the hardware with wooden slats that I'd rip.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago I got custom length fiberglass slats from Stefan Wood Products. Used to make short side seats for the back of my M-36 (behind where the S-280 sat), and as uprights for the bows so we could put a screen over the S-280. Screen was strictly for being parked, made from an old cargo parachute, but offered shade and a pretty good mosquito net.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@MyothersanM1 I'd never heard of Stephan Wood. I'll check it out, thanks!

Edit: Well, I know where there are brand-new, fiberglass A1 seats. As near as I can determine, they will be 2 feet short because of the 2-foot side boards that are on the drop-side bed and the uprights will not line up with mine. It seems kind of brutal to destroy a new set of fiberglass seats just to reuse the hardware with wooden slats that I'd rip.
I checked their website last night and all those part numbers specific to your style bed are still on it. However, there are no prices listed anymore.
https://www.stephanwoodproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Product-list.pdf

Yeah, I get it. Plus, even if you do try to reuse the original slats and there will open holes that no longer align with the posts. That would drive my OCD crazy ;)

I PM'd you some links that may help.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have a 14 foot set that I’ll probably be cutting up soon to fit my dropside, unless I find a good 12 foot set.

Ajax MD

I still have a 14 foot set that I’ll probably be cutting up soon to fit my dropside, unless I find a good 12 foot set.
If I can point you to a brand new, fiberglass 12 foot set, would that stop you from cutting up the 14 foot set? PM sent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks