• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still serving in Iraq (with pics!)

spartan_185

Ok, Im here on Camp Andaconda, AKA Balad, Iraq. I have noticed a few m35's running about, and I decided to snap a few pictures of the old steel veterans. Most of them are still in the original configuration. Although if you look closely at the black one with the star, you can see that they have "upgraded" the seats to a more comfortable type. I will probably continue to add to the collection of pictures as I travel around country, and you may see some pictures of other non classified vehicles also. So enjoy the first of hopefully many pictures. :smile:

100_0509.jpg100_0510.jpg100_0511.jpg100_0512.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your service as well as the pics. I look forward to seeing more.

:)

sw

whizzy

Thanks to you and your family for your service to our country! My family and I appreciate your sacrifice! Maybe we can meet up after your return to beautiful Oklahoma.

spartan_185

who is using them??
The motorpool guys use them for the most part. I know for a fact that the 514th QM owns the black one. They mainly get used to ferry troops to and from the mess hall nowadays. I would love to see what one would look like up-armored. Although I wouldnt be able to send pictures of them then....

combat32

Cools pics Bret, there were still a whole bunch in Doha Kuwait last time I was there, but I heard they have since pulled out of there.There are your troop seats right there, think you could claim those as a carry on for the flight home?:mrgreen:

I bet those trucks will never make it home, probably wind up giving them to the new Iraqi Army or security forces.

Last edited:

spartan_185

Cools pics Bret, there were still a whole bunch in Doha Kuwait last time I was there, but I heard they have since pulled out of there.There are your troop seats right there, think you could claim those as a carry on for the flight home?:mrgreen:

I bet those trucks will never make it home, probably wind up giving them to the new Iraqi Army or security forces.
Yea!! thats a good idea. I wonder how much it would cost to DHL em' home? 8) I bet I could buy another truck for what it would cost. :razz:. As far as seeing them on the surplus market, I would say the chances are slim to none, I figure this will be their final resting place. Also I have some pictures from camp Taji. I took them at the massive "armor graveyard" they have there. Although, If I post them, you guys have to promise not to cry, or drool on the keyboard. There are some really neat Russian and other makes of vehicles there, sadly rusting away.

Yea!! thats a good idea. I wonder how much it would cost to DHL em' home? 8) I bet I could buy another truck for what it would cost. :razz:. As far as seeing them on the surplus market, I would say the chances are slim to none, I figure this will be their final resting place. Also I have some pictures from camp Taji. I took them at the massive "armor graveyard" they have there. Although, If I post them, you guys have to promise not to cry, or drool on the keyboard. There are some really neat Russian and other makes of vehicles there, sadly rusting away.
I was at Taji, I have pics of us climbing around the stuff. The Iraq's were pulling the tanks and APC's that were in best shape to refurbish. Those things are LOUD. Its amazing to think all that armor is 50+ years old and they are still using it.

Jared

Thanks for the pictures. I was at Balad 2 years ago as a contractor. Lot of vehicles there since it's a logistics base and it was cool to see all the different types. I was surprised the first time I saw an M35 tooling down the road. As old as it is and still in service of some sort. It still fit right in with all the rest.

spartan_185

I was at Taji, I have pics of us climbing around the stuff. The Iraq's were pulling the tanks and APC's that were in best shape to refurbish. Those things are LOUD. Its amazing to think all that armor is 50+ years old and they are still using it.
Yea those guys will use just about anything, as long as it rolls down the road. I once saw a motorcycle front end, mated with a small truck rear end (bed and all). They were using it to harvest crops. I like the old Huey's they are using now. Those things have the most unique rotor sound. I guess the Hueys are like the Deuce and the C-130......getting the job done 30+ years later. As promised, here are a few pictures from the graveyard. I would post more but there's a limit, and I need to get some rest.
100_0489.jpg

100_0490.jpg

100_0491.jpg

100_0492.jpg

100_0493.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0495.jpg

100_0505.jpg

100_0504.jpg

100_0496.jpg

P.S. dc3coyote, shoot me an email when you get here. I may still be around. I don't work too far from the RAID footprint. I was actually there a few days ago.