• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still sluggish starting in the cold....

lindsaym

Glow Plug help

I've been having a **** of a time getting my M1009 started in the cold. A mechanic friend of mine says that I probably need to replace some Glow Plugs. I'm reading a lot on here about controller cards and resistors. Does anyone know of a good video where I could learn about this system or walk me through the steps. Pictures would work well, too. I have TMs and everything but I'm not super-smart on engines and kind of need something dummy-proof. One reason I have this truck is that it's easy to work on and I've actually taught myself quite a bit! Thanks, guys!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to watch the video in the CUCV stickies about the operation of the GP system.

Also the TM 9-2320-289-20 tech manual has a step-by-step procedure to check the controller. Chapter 2-15, page 2-62 of the Electrical Troubleshooting section.

Also read chapter 2-10, page 2-26 to help understand how to read the wiring diagrams.

Last edited:

lindsaym

Thanks for the info guys! I tested out all the GP's and four were bad. I went ahead and replaced all of them (I have no idea how long they'd been in there) and while it is definitely starting better, it's still a bit sluggish....

lindsaym

My problem was that I couldn't get my 85 M1009 to start on cold mornings - and since I live in Alaska, that's a problem. Thanks to some help from some guys on this site, I tested my GP's and switched them out. It starts better (meaning it actually starts!) but it's still pretty sluggish, especially compared to when I first bought it. Any other ideas of what I can look at? I have the -10, -20 and -34, and have no problem looking up info, but I'm new to working on cars so just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

txmytx_catahoula

Are you still getting power to your cold advance & fast idle? They're the green wires on the injector pump. These are controlled by a temp switch/sensor on the passenger side block, towards the rear.

JSF01

Did you swap out all the glow plugs or just the 4 bad ones? Personally if I had 4 bad 'd swap them all.

Also how cold is it out there when you are trying to start it, and what temperatures are you seeing at night at night. After a certain point your truck will start to struggle even if the whole system is in perfect shape, so you will need a block heater, if you don't have one. If you have a block heater and been using it, make sure it still works.

Last edited:

JSF01

Since you will regularly be starting at less than 20 degrees f, you would benefit from block heater. There are threads that cover this here.
opps, sorry I did not mean to steal what you just said with an edit. After I had hit post, I remembered him mentioning that he was in Alaska, and that it probably really cold there. When I was living in Montana I know we were starting to get some really cold days around this time of year ( I remember two years ago it had hit -2 degrees f just before thanksgiving, Alsaka is probably that cold already). So I went back to mention the block heater and when I was finished and posted you already posted about it.

Last edited:

lindsaym

Trouble starting CUCV

I have another thread going but I see that I didn't post quite enough info to get some real help sorry about that. My problem is that I sometimes can't get the vehicle started. At first, I attributed it to the cold, but I've also had issues trying to leave work. Now I'm wondering if it's dependent on how long it sits? I tested the GP's and replaced them all, yet I'm still having some issues getting it started. Once it has started, it runs great, no crazy idling or loss of power. I do have a block heater, which last time I checked, does work. I'm not the smartest guy on engines - trying to teach myself as I go along - so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I have all the TM's, but don't understand some of the lingo. Thanks!

lindsaym

I do have a block heater, and I will be checking it again this morning, though worked fine last time I checked it. I also did replace all the glow plugs since i wasn't sure how long they'd been in there. I will try to find the cold advance on the injector pump. Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please continue one thread on your truck(especially when having an issue that you have dealt with in other threads.)

I'm merging your threads now.

rivcrazy2000

My truck sat the last two and a half weeks outside not plugged in and fired up after one cycle of the glow plugs. When I'm in Fairbanks and it's -40 out and I have it plugged in I can still get it started but it takes some finangling for sure. Down to about -10 and plugged in the glow plug light doesn't even come on I crank and it fires and is ready to rock. Maybe you need a new block heater too it doesn't sound like it works that well. Where do you live?

lindsaym

Just outside of Anchorage. The block definitely works, just got under the truck and burned my hand on it!

lindsaym

Okay, so I've narrowed the problem down to the GP relay. If this was obvious to some of you, I'm sorry, I'm new at this. The GP's were getting almost no power, so I tested out the relay, which tested very low. Then I took the wire off the relay that splits in two and goes to the GP's and held it onto the terminal that goes to the battery (sorry if my lingo is all messed up here). I held it there for about fifteen seconds, "manually" charging the GPs. Truck started right up! I called NAPA and they said they have a relay for 130 bucks but my friend said that the relay I have is about the same one they have in all the older vehicles and should cost about ten? I also see that a sT85 is recommended on this site. Thoughts?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You obviously are not following our advice to follow the troubleshooting section of the -20TM.

Simply powering the GP wire is not how you test or diagnose this issue.

If you use the wrong relay, you will ruin your GPs and controller card and have a malfunctioning system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks