• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock Deuce..Anyone haul a 12k load on regular basis?

nosliw

Newb here. I'm considering a M35A2 to replace our old C60 Chevrolet for water hauling purposes. I live in rural Kentucky with a steep, long (.8 of a mile or better), rough, windy gravel driveway and plan to haul 1500 gallons at a time. (roughly 12,000 lbs)

I assume a stock Deuce will far exceed my expectations, being it's diesel (read: TORQUE) and has low range. I would like some reassurance and input from others who have hauled similar loads.

Do-able? Downsize the tank to 1000 gallons? Heck yes? Heck no?

Heck yes it'll pull it and I'm crazy for even asking?

Thanks for any input.

Conn

DeuceNewb

well I don't have any experience, but the deuce is rated for 5,000 lbs off road cargo, 10,000 lbs for on road cargo....so it sounds you may be a bit over loaded

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That weight is like carrying another Deuce in the back. I'd hate to loose my brakes, or break down while going up that "steep...rough...windy...gravel" drive. That might be a wild ride backwards. On flat ground, it might be a different story.

I'd make more trips carrying 600 gallons, which is the off-road rating. Besides, that gives you an excuse for more windshield time.

rockman

Pretty risky with the brakes on the flat much less a windy road. Carrying less and making more trips would be better. Sliding backwards down an icy road in a deuce cured me of any thoughts of overloading and brakes...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You'd be a lot better off with a 5 ton.

tjcouch

Rockman makes a good point . . . . it is not the load capacity of the drive train/suspension that is the concern, it s the load capacity of the brakes.

Maybe a 5 ton would better suit your needs.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck would probably do it, but it would not be the safest. How fast do you plan to go while being loaded? Are you just going to creep up and down the hill? I would go down to a 1000 gallon tank and have the brakes checked really well. Also there is now roll over protection in these.

nosliw

Well, the old C60 wasn't quite the safest thing either. I'd feel safer hauling 12k on the back of a bicycle sometimes than that old C60 if the brakes were acting up.
If you wanted to stop, you'd better plan on having a fast foot in order to pump the pedal. It's a short trip to the local fire station to fetch water. 4 miles at best. One lane, mostly un-occupied county roads. To take the short way, you have to cross a creek with no bridge.

I'm not looking to haul it fast. I'm just looking to haul it in a one-shot deal. I've got a 500 gallon tank I haul on a gooseneck, but when you're cistern feeds 2 families, a barn, shop and greenhouse, 500 gallons isn't much.

Thanks for all the info guys! Keep it coming!

So grossing 42000 is to much well tell that to my duch just put 225 miles on her last night 45 to 50 all the way not a hiccup one loaded truck tri axle trailer and m52 tractor . No problem trick with hauling water is to get a square tank so your load stays low an takes the whole bed we had one on fire dept was huttin like it 1500 gallon tank no problem you just gotta no what your doing . anything operated is only as safe as the driver:driver::driver::driver::driver::driver::beer::grd:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My cousin hauls roughly 20,000lb. of logs on rough logging roads on his m35a2 I sold him. The axles are on the stops. Is it safe, no. Would I do it,no. But he does do it. I told him he was going to get himself killed but that's just the way he is. It's a wonder he's lived this long as this is minor to some other stuff he's done. His motto is "never mind the mule, just load the wagon". Didn't realize how tuff a deuce really was untill I saw how one holds up under him.

50shooter

I purchased my truck w/a 1,000 gl water tank from the FD. They used it for 12 years ish off road as their brush truck. They ended up replaceing a tranny and having the TC repaired. I'm told both were driver in-deuced (pun intended). My tank only goes about 8 inches higher than the bed rail. They shortened the bed by 13" and the tank fills the bed perfect side to side. I like the idea of the full bed low square tank to keep the weight even and as low as possible.

You should be OK as long as you keep all the above info in mind everytime you get in the truck and don't let anyone else use it. If you drive quiet back roads carefully and in good weather / road conditions, I would do it.

It's not the greatest setup but when that's all you got, adapt to it.

My opinion only.

Good Luck
Jason

50shooter

I know I should have put a pic but I screwed it up the 1st time. In the pic you can see the top of the tank. On the passenger side it looks like the tank is higher but that is just hose storage racks.

Also note the square roll bar they installed. I like to know there is now something higher than my noggin should the need arise.

PS. I'm thinking about selling this truck and buying one w/out tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

the m49 came with 1000 gallon capacity the water truck and fuel truck both had 1000 gallon capacity one had two 500 gal tanks the other had one 400 gal and one 600 gal youll have no problem ive had about 40000 in the bed and had my tractor on the trailer which is another 10000 if you have crappy brakes you are gonna have a problem weather you are loaded unloaded or over loaded . the truck will hold it just remember with that much water you have to think about sloshing so its different than just dead wieght .so drive slowly and smoothly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks