• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock Deuce..Anyone haul a 12k load on regular basis?

gunboy1656

Yeah, the M49 and M50 were tankers and could haul the weight, but the tanks sat lower in the bed than anything loaded into the bed and strapped down. If all your going to do with it is haul water, get you hands on the M50.

bottleworks

This topic has been brought up a lot in the past.
It seems some feel that if you put anything more then a tea cup in the back, you would be better off with a 5 ton. If you feel that your brakes are weak, get off the road. Loaded or unloaded!

The truck is officially rated at 10K. You want to haul 12K. Your fine. Many, including me, have hauled more then that. I can tell you - I know the status of my brakes. Far too many who own M35's don't. 2cents :stir pot:

scottc

I have got a buddy in the site development bussiness that has two of them with 1,500 gal tanks for site work. They work great, but, we have flat ground and no ice or snow here in Florida.

2027Deuce

I've hauled 5K lbs. of water off road and you definately feel it move around, but its do-able. You could probably haul the 10K lbs. just leave room to stop.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Traveling UP a long steep gravel drive, it's not the climbing with a 15,000 lb load, nor the stopping that is a problem, it's what happens if you have to stop and get out on the upgrade. I wouldn't trust the emergency brake, and if the drive is steep enough, the wheel chocks may not help.

I would not want to back that load down that grade using only the brakes to slow you on that gravel road.

Nonotagain

I used to drive a single axle Ford F-800 armored truck that had a 3000 lb lift gate that we routinely loaded with 12 skids of coin. Each skid weighed 3300 lbs. The tagged GVW was 32,000 lbs.

One day we got stopped by the weight enforcement division and after that we never loaded the truck with more than 3 skids. A $14,000+ dollar fine and two trucks to off load the load to cured the company from pulling that stunt again.

The worst part was that we did this for over 6 years before getting stopped.

TomB

I've been hauling a 1000gal water tank to my home about twice a month for the past year. My tank is about 4' in diameter and 12' long. It barely fits in the bed. I also have a very steep gravel driveway. The only time I have felt unsafe is when I didn't wait long enough for the road to dry after a rain.

jim-m35a2

Well, the old C60 wasn't quite the safest thing either. I'd feel safer hauling 12k on the back of a bicycle sometimes than that old C60 if the brakes were acting up.
If you wanted to stop, you'd better plan on having a fast foot in order to pump the pedal. It's a short trip to the local fire station to fetch water. 4 miles at best. One lane, mostly un-occupied county roads. To take the short way, you have to cross a creek with no bridge.

I'm not looking to haul it fast. I'm just looking to haul it in a one-shot deal. I've got a 500 gallon tank I haul on a gooseneck, but when you're cistern feeds 2 families, a barn, shop and greenhouse, 500 gallons isn't much.

Thanks for all the info guys! Keep it coming!
Just wondering, why can't you drill a well.

Jim
________
Milf live

Last edited:

nosliw

Just got home from pickup up my "new" 1971 M35A2!

I picked it up from fellow Steel Soldiers member hatteras4164. He happened to live in the same county as me, just on the other side.

Had a nice smooth ride home at 50 MPH. It feels 10x more stable at 50mph than the old water truck!

I picked up an M150 trailer with a cover as well. The trailer brakes started sticking on the way home and got a little hot on one side. :-D

My old man thinks I'm crazy. He's the one who burnt down the water truck, not me.
If you're gonna get a replacement, you might as well UPGRADE! He'll think I'm crazy until he finds a use for it. :-D