• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stock engine replacement or repower with something else

tm america

Going with a gas motor would be a big down grade...Also what ford trans is gonna fit ?A c6 is around 34 inches long and a e4od is even longer..also you could forget about being able to run a winch with a pto...If you went with a 4r1oo it would cost more for the trans than you could get a whole deuce from gl..oh and you would have to move the transfer case back and redo the drive shafts...so more money?you would be way better of buying a school bus with a cummins 6bt for the engine then scrap the rest for some money back..it will have the right bellhousing adapter and be a huge power improvement and better durability..Or you could just go with a multi for the cheapest easiet fix..i seen one in the classifieds with trans for 500-600?

Flat Black

there is a replacement for displacement, its called boost... if you want instant off idle power use a blower or twin (compound) turbos. If you are not pulling a huge load, drag racing or sled pulling, you will be fine throwing that multi-fuel in the river and installing a stock to mildly modified 5.9 Cummins.. I would not bother with ANY gas motor, the CRD (jeep) VM Motori engine or much of anything else that has been mentioned. There is a HUGE aftermarket for 5.9s, people have put them into everything under the sun, they are cheap and reliable and will last for hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of...

An HPCR Cummins or Duramax are options as well and there are stand alone engine and transmision management control systems for these and associated parts, but they are not cheap. If you want cheap, get an 89-98 Cummins rebuildable core, find a Cummins/Dodge diesel board that you like and start reading. Talk to any one of dozens of quality shops around the country about the builds they have done for themselves and their customers to get ideas, head off potential headaches, etc.

A 12 valve Cummins with an SAE bolt pattern has almost unlimited possibilites for anything that you could want to do to it or with it. Anything from 160hp with a three speed auto to 1400hp with a 13 speed MD trans and everything in between.

Thats my three cents..

PS: if I HAD to pick something other than a Cummins:

The 93-97 DT466 has a P-pump just like the ISB does. The optional 466E started in 95 and you dont want it. The 84-92 had an A-pump or MW-pump and it can be modded too, just not as common as the P-Pump. The best years for the earlier engine are 89-92, which have aftercooler, roller cam, and big intake opening for lots of power.

However, at 7.6 Liters and over 1500 pounds wet, you can keep it and I will take the 5.9.

Last edited:

spicergear

There's another version of this thread somewhere in the archives...

Ranchhopper, nice 3208 swap. I've had an 1160 in my deuce crane truck for 7 or 8 yrs now. Same size as 3208, but 225hp N/A.

A gas truck, as mentioned will really eat up some fuel even though the big block tall deck 366's and 427's ARE heavier than a short deck passenger car big block...they will work, but not as efficient as the diesel mileage-wise.

Big things with a larger engine are lower rpm availability and more weight. Stock tires are usually good for 4,000lbs per tire and start putting big engines in and you're running on borrowed time for tire life. I swapped in A3 wheels and a heavier rated super single front on my CAT crane truck because of the weight on the front. I do have a hefty winch...but...front weight was right there. Most the larger diesels are 2200rpm and that leaves you 600rpm off the pace. Big tires are great for dropping rpm...but then you lose power like you're loaded. Lots of variables...

Parker2

Your going to save money in the short run putting in a gas engine, but you for sure will loose money in the long run. Gas mileage is going to suck and cost big bucks as fuel prices go up. Look for some kind of diesel to put in there.

Gunfreak25

As the owner of a 54 GMC Deuce powered by a 455ci Oldsmobile and Th400 I can offer my $02 cents on gas engine swaps.

Advantages
-Easier (for me anyway) to work on
-Parts are more readily available and most of the time less expensive
-No injector pump
-Higher top end speed and power
-Plethora of aftermarket GM big block accessories.
-Less noise. Depending on your choice of exhaust your truck can sound like a hot rod or be quiet enough to carry on conversations at highway speeds

I don't see too many disadvantages but the one that comes up the most is fuel economy. Which would be a pretty big disadvantage. All that power and torque comes a hefty price, at highway speeds you'll SUCK the bottom out of the gas tank. Lots of advantages, but again the power swap is useless if you can't afford to even use the vehicle! I was fortunate enough to have been brought into this world in a small town where I still reside today so I can afford to drive my truck. I also thought that the 455/Th400 would be better suited to stop and go city driving than a Multifuel with a 5spd Spicer.

The way I see it, GET THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS! I have myself a sweet hot rod gasser deuce and next I want a Multifuel too. Of course, not everyone has the means for a second MV let alone their first. This is usually due to "she who must be obeyed". But......there's a cure for that problem too.....

These pics are several weeks old. I have finished with a lot of things under the hood and the truck is half repainted already. I also included a picture of a guy who put a 502 Chebby BB in his. :shock:

Attachments

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the measurement of the drive shaft on the
Deuce between the Tranny and transfer case? I don't have one close to measure and was looking at some options for a friend that is contemplating a swap similar to what we are talking about here.
Thanks!!!! popacom / BILL in Ky.:driver:

The most important thing to.consider when planning a project.like this just what you are planning on doing with the truck when complete. Will it.be.a.street legal monster.truck for mud racing? A off.road.bogger on the weekends only. Or a daily driver with a bit more.pep. Perhaps.a combo of them all. There is.always a.trade.off between performance and reliability. The question is.not how powerful and fast it can be made to.go. The.real question is just bow powerful and fast.you can afford.to.go. It all comes down to $$$. Lots.of.it. My.dream combo would be a.DuDuramax that is really built.up.and with propane injection. Stout trans, with ARB lockers in all 3 axles. You gotta.pay if.you want to play.

TexAndy

there is a replacement for displacement, its called boost... if you want instant off idle power use a blower or twin (compound) turbos. If you are not pulling a huge load, drag racing or sled pulling, you will be fine throwing that multi-fuel in the river and installing a stock to mildly modified 5.9 Cummins.. I would not bother with ANY gas motor, the CRD (jeep) VM Motori engine or much of anything else that has been mentioned. There is a HUGE aftermarket for 5.9s, people have put them into everything under the sun, they are cheap and reliable and will last for hundreds of thousands of miles if taken care of...

An HPCR Cummins or Duramax are options as well and there are stand alone engine and transmision management control systems for these and associated parts, but they are not cheap. If you want cheap, get an 89-98 Cummins rebuildable core, find a Cummins/Dodge diesel board that you like and start reading. Talk to any one of dozens of quality shops around the country about the builds they have done for themselves and their customers to get ideas, head off potential headaches, etc.

A 12 valve Cummins with an SAE bolt pattern has almost unlimited possibilites for anything that you could want to do to it or with it. Anything from 160hp with a three speed auto to 1400hp with a 13 speed MD trans and everything in between.

Thats my three cents..

PS: if I HAD to pick something other than a Cummins:

The 93-97 DT466 has a P-pump just like the ISB does. The optional 466E started in 95 and you dont want it. The 84-92 had an A-pump or MW-pump and it can be modded too, just not as common as the P-Pump. The best years for the earlier engine are 89-92, which have aftercooler, roller cam, and big intake opening for lots of power.

However, at 7.6 Liters and over 1500 pounds wet, you can keep it and I will take the 5.9.
What's the max safe engine speed for a cummins 5.9?

ODdave

The 93-97 DT466 has a P-pump just like the ISB does.:confused:

optimum speed is 1800 but you can biuld them to spin 4k+ most stock ones run about 2200 @ 70 in the dodge trucks

Last edited:

mudguppy

Does anyone have the measurement of the drive shaft on the
Deuce between the Tranny and transfer case? ...
it's around 12" flange to flange. the problem you will find is that you have to have a custom yoke & yoke shaft assembled - this is pricey. you won't be able to avoid a pricey yoke shaft without increasing the length to around 20" (which you won't be able to without relocating the transfer). then you can get an inexpensive custom drive shaft made.

mudguppy

i'd say that you can run a 5.9 at 3k forever.

you need heavier valve springs for 3200+. yes, you can run them to 4k with just heavier valve springs (and 5k+ with a fluid damper), but i wouldn't advise this for long term setups; the heavier valve springs can accelerate wear of the cam lobes at sustained high rpm. they can also eat spring retainers, too.