• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock tire size

catfish33

What is the stock tire size for the M883? I looked in the door jams and all over the truck but see no sign of what the stock tires were. Need to know so I can accurately figure my mileage (running 36" HMMWV tires currently). Thanks in advance.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the stock tire size for the M883? I looked in the door jams and all over the truck but see no sign of what the stock tires were. Need to know so I can accurately figure my mileage (running 36" HMMWV tires currently). Thanks in advance.
Did you look in the TM's ?

bill3542

my M880 had 9.50-16.5 tires
my swap was to early 90s 16 inch 8 bolt Ford rims and i am running 10 ply LT 265/75 16 tires.
had to change all the lug nuts also, its now sits about 2 inches higher than it did before. these tires just barely clear the front fender.
i know the speedo is off on mine.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........... its now sits about 2 inches higher than it did before. ............
Loaded radius of a BFG size 9.50R16.5 tire: 14.5"
Loaded radius of most any brand size 265/75R16 tire: 15.0"

So, what else was done, besides swapping tires/wheels?

bill3542

Nothing, standing them side by side comparing old rim and tire to new rim and tire there was a 2 inch difference in height.
The Ford rims also are 7 inch wide, original rims were 6.5 inches wide.
maybe something to do with original tires being 8 ply and replacements being 10 ply.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing, standing them side by side comparing old rim and tire to new rim and tire there was a 2 inch difference in height.
The Ford rims also are 7 inch wide, original rims were 6.5 inches wide.
maybe something to do with original tires being 8 ply and replacements being 10 ply.
Ford has several different width rims depending on the year and factory tire size..