• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stock vs variable rate springs

erasedhammer

Saw on ebay a listing for variable rate springs for a humvee. Anyone know how this affects ride quality?
or
Do humvees come with these variable rate springs, and would stock linear springs ride smoother?

Carrera911

I noticed one of my trucks has the smaller front springs in the back as well. It does ride noticeably smoother than my other truck with the heavier rear springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erasedhammer

Just keep in mind that to use them you need the cast upper spring perches and later style lower control arms.
As far as I understand the variable rate springs are softer than the heavy duty springs when unloaded but can withstand heavy loads. H1s had them in the back. So why would I need different control arms if I'm not loading up the rear beyond m998 gvws?

DatGuyC

As far as I understand the variable rate springs are softer than the heavy duty springs when unloaded but can withstand heavy loads. H1s had them in the back. So why would I need different control arms if I'm not loading up the rear beyond m998 gvws?
Because the spring pockets are different in the later versions to accept the progressive springs, they wont sit properly in the earlier style.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the part numbers or application of the "later" model lower control arms. are they the same as the lower front arms of the later vehicles?
I think they are 2530014208634 and 2530014207895 and it looks like they are used in the front also, wonder where I can get a pair of these?

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8634 is RF or LR
7895 is LF or RR
These are the A2 A arms.
They have serrated edge bushings.
Late style have smooth bushings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks