• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stock wheel with weld-on beadlocks and 395's... thoughts?

Jakob

My thoughts have been to take the stock wheels, have the rings removed, and weld-on 20" beadlock kits. This would get rid of the troublesome lock ring, widen the mounting area at least an inch so that the tires fit better, and make it easier to change tires. I have known these beadlock kits to be used with success on Jeeps, full size trucks, and all out rock machines. My only concern would be with the weight of our trucks.
Punishers-2T.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure how you would possibly mount a tire, after the bead-lock flange is welded in place?:?
Keep in mind that the stock Deuce wheels are so-called "tapered base rims"; not semi-drop center- or even well-base rims.

G.

Csm Davis

Not sure how you would possibly mount a tire, after the bead-lock flange is welded in place?:?
Keep in mind that the stock Deuce wheels are so-called "tapered base rims"; not semi-drop center- or even well-base rims.

G.
He is talking about a civilian style beadlock which just sandwiches the bead on the outside bead.

sent from my decrepit fingers

Jakob

I might order up one of these sets just to try it out. Unless someone can confirm or deny that they work before I experiment with them.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is talking about a civilian style beadlock which just sandwiches the bead on the outside bead.

Correct, 20" civilian.... two flange pieces, a little over 21-1/2 inches, O.D., and lots of bolts and washers. First ring to be welded-on, 2nd one bolts to the first, clamping/squeezing the outer bead... (Or would this be something completely different from what the rock-crawlers are using?)

Now, if a flange of that size was welded to the stock inner wheel, how would someone be able to get the first (inner) bead of the tire over it? Knowingly, tire beads don't stretch...:-?

G.

Csm Davis

Correct, 20" civilian.... two flange pieces, a little over 21-1/2 inches, O.D., and lots of bolts and washers. First ring to be welded-on, 2nd one bolts to the first, clamping/squeezing the outer bead... (Or would this be something completely different from what the rock-crawlers are using?)

Now, if a flange of that size was welded to the stock inner wheel, how would someone be able to get the first (inner) bead of the tire over it? Knowingly, tire beads don't stretch...:-?

G.
Because you don't put whole bead over the edge all at once, you put it on at an angle and only have to get two points to go past 21.5" which just kinda ovals the bead slightly for a second, no biggie.

Jakob

One big issue I see is tube tires and tubeless tires have a different cross section in the bead area
I didn't take that into consideration, good point. Hypothetically, this shouldn't affect the function of the physical bead-lock addition. The hardware itself may need to be longer to compensate for that.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because you don't put whole bead over the edge all at once, you put it on at an angle and only have to get two points to go past 21.5" which just kinda ovals the bead slightly for a second, no biggie.

Sorry Jeff, but I have to disagree here: What you say is only possible with a drop-center wheel/rim; not a stock Deuce rim.

I might order up one of these sets just to try it out. Unless someone can confirm or deny that they work before I experiment with them.
Yes, better buy one set and find out by yourself. (I say it won't work but I may be wrong...)

jasonjc

Sorry Jeff, but I have to disagree here: What you say is only possible with a drop-center wheel/rim; not a stock Deuce rim.

Yes, better buy one set and find out by yourself. (I say it won't work but I may be wrong...)
I don't think it will go either. It would be like not removing the lock ring.

Jakob

I'll attempt it on one wheel before I get the stuff to do it on EVERY wheel.

Does anyone have a cross section of a Deuce wheel and a drop center wheel?