• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stolen M35 - Colorado - on or before 11/22/2015

Wondering if anyone knows of a good reasonably priced GPS anti theft tracking? Looking for input from someone who has/had one.

would be nice to be able to catch a thief red handed.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wondering if the email mentioned whether the truck was in running condition, or had it been stolen from the scene under tow?

Also... a bit hard to tell from the photo, but is the paint color white, or tan?
the email didn't give much detail. I suspect that'll be kept confidential for now. It can be used against the miscreant that took it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scumbags.
With the price for scrap steel not exactly stellar, perhaps parting out is the motive...axles for mud bogger etc. They still need to get rid of the rest of the truck that is useless to them. Cut the frame and throw all the "garbage" into the cargo bed. Then haul the bed to the scrapper. That's my five cents worth of what I'd be looking for at the scrappers' while ideas of what to do with these *ssholes float through my mind.

Chief_919

Scumbags.
With the price for scrap steel not exactly stellar, perhaps parting out is the motive...axles for mud bogger etc. They still need to get rid of the rest of the truck that is useless to them. Cut the frame and throw all the "garbage" into the cargo bed. Then haul the bed to the scrapper. That's my five cents worth of what I'd be looking for at the scrappers' while ideas of what to do with these *ssholes float through my mind.
Most likely it was taken for the axles.

A few years ago someone stole several M1008's from a yard on Ft Bragg, drove them up onto a fire break in the woods, stripped the axles and left the rest.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just a word of warning, watch what you say about what you would do to a thief, OR this thread will get deleted, we need to stay focused on getting the truck back, that can not happen if the thread goes down hill and be gone. WE ALL know what a thief deserves so there is no point in voicing it in open forum.

Hunter2506

That sucks. I have posted a link to this thread on FB and other bulletin boards, hopefully we'll get the message spread far and wide enough to catch the *******s. I'm not very close to Gunnison, but will keep my eyes and ears peeled.

I keep mine in a gated yard most of the time, rarely is it parked out front. When it is, I disconnect certain things overnight that you would really have to know these trucks well to get it going quickly. And you'd be caught on camera.

One other thing you can do as an easy measure is to use a dummy intermediate cable between the batteries. Sorta like replacing the coil wire with a piece of vacuum tubing trick we do with our old gas powered cars & trucks that have no door locks or keyed ignition. Yeah, somebody could figure it out eventually, but would probably give up.

Of course, none of these measures will prevent towing away. Nothing you can really do about that besides security measures that are not a part of the vehicle itself.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

A wrecker chain, couple of huge hardened padlocks, and a large tree would work for that. Chain the rear axle to the tree. They would have to bring a torch.

Edit: OR a chainsaw...

Piper Cub

Wondering if anyone knows of a good reasonably priced GPS anti theft tracking? Looking for input from someone who has/had one.

would be nice to be able to catch a thief red handed.
Don't know how much it cost because it was just left on the tractor from the rental yard that owned it before, but LoJack works really well for recovering stolen things. The police can ping it and locate the vehicle but I'm not sure if the owner can access the system. It doesn't look like anything important when it's installed so even experienced criminals don't think to destroy it if they see it.

tim292stro

Lojack is a one-time install fee of around $500, and then you have to pay for service if it's stolen or older than 5 years (I think that was the minimum battery life). Lojack's system is hooked into the Federal NCIC (National Crime Information Center) and when installed your lojack is associated with your vehicle's VIN. When you file a police report with that VIN, it goes into the NCIC and Lojack's network sees that - they send out an activate signal from a national network of towers, and that starts the vehicle's transponder broadcast. In a Police vehicle for an agency that supports Lojack (not all do), there is a radio direction finder array of four matched antennas on the roof of the vehicle:
lojack_antennas.jpg,

a small processor and a display for the officer:
lojack_LEO_terminal.jpg

When a LEO vehicle receives a "hit" (broadcast from a vehicle transponder), the display will light up in the cab with the transponder number and what direction the signal came from. With two or more receiving cars coordinating over the radio they can quickly triangulate down to the house/driveway/yard/shipping-container the signal is coming from.

That system is good if you live or travel in an area supported by Lojack.

If you want to do something yourself there are GSM GPS trackers available, but these come with cellular charges and service fees. Might as well get a prepaid Android phone and use the Google where's my phone feature included for free. If you're a hardware hacker, I could see removing the vibrate motor and replacing it with a relay that disables the ignition circuit and activates the horn... Just need to hide the phone in the truck and wire in a car charger/solar charger. Keep in mind that if you're the only one who knows about this or how to use it and you get shot while being car-jacked - you're probably not going to see that again... There is a benefit to having it externally monitored/operated.

Last edited:

icecreamman

Sorry about making reference to Cheyenne, I had forgotten how far south Gunnison is. But still, the poor deuce was not stolen for its stellar ride, excellent handling in tight turns or fuel economy:(

Scrap is bringing crap now. Search for axles.

tim292stro

Something like TrackmateGPS $9/month - you can set geo fences so if some one moves your ride you get an email/text-message. They also have GPIOs for door sensors etc, and are working on a feature for reading fuel gauges - that would be useful for catching someone stealing your fuel...

dmetalmiki

Guys, around here scrap yards are only paying 20$ a ton prepared (4ft or smaller). Its not worth the gas to cut one up!!! I Bet its along a trail somewhere, Hope the find the scum that did it.
Small crumb of comfort over here scrapyards are paying "nowt"! and you can't even leave it at some yards. One less venue for the thieving types anyway.

JohnnyBM931A2

Something like TrackmateGPS $9/month - you can set geo fences so if some one moves your ride you get an email/text-message. They also have GPIOs for door sensors etc, and are working on a feature for reading fuel gauges - that would be useful for catching someone stealing your fuel...
I'm definitely going to look into that. Only $70 or so for the unit, and like you said $9 bucks a month. VERY reasonable in my opinion. Also compatible with 9-30v, and has a good temperature range. Just about perfect for our trucks. Thank you for mentioning that.

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

I keep mine in a gated yard most of the time, rarely is it parked out front. When it is, I disconnect certain things overnight that you would really have to know these trucks well to get it going quickly. And you'd be caught on camera.

One other thing you can do as an easy measure is to use a dummy intermediate cable between the batteries. Sorta like replacing the coil wire with a piece of vacuum tubing trick we do with our old gas powered cars & trucks that have no door locks or keyed ignition. Yeah, somebody could figure it out eventually, but would probably give up.

Of course, none of these measures will prevent towing away. Nothing you can really do about that besides security measures that are not a part of the vehicle itself.
My mom used to disconnect/take parts out of my grandpa's truck so he couldn't drive home drunk from the officers club. It got so bad my grandpa actually started carrying parts in the truck to replace the ones my mom would take.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks