• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storing TowBar

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tornadogt yea that is where I saw mounting mine but useing a pintel to hold it in place. When you need it just push it out of the bed and no fighting the tow bar as it most of the time wins over me. I don't want to fight it putting it under the bed in any way shape or form. Now I would use a small pintel to hold it in place as I don't want a flying tow bar if for some reason I flip the truck. Be perpared for anything. Where did you get the cool hoist?

Last edited:
A little off subject, what are the round holes in your bed for? I assume the Square ones or for the crane which look great and plenty strong.
They are tie down points - didn't want anything poking up so I can still slide pallets around but needed to lash stuff down. The hook from the strap can drop thru the hole and then snag the edge - or there is a cross pin bolt I can put through the walls of the pipe and the use chains or shackles - it works well; plus dirt and water just auto drain down the holes.

CIMG2194.jpgCIMG2197.jpgCIMG2198.jpgCIMG2200.jpg

Last edited:

ReoRider

For tractors there is an easy stowage solution along the frame rails on either side of the 5th wheel. I've carried a medium bar there for years on an M52 gasser. It's easy to get to, simple brackets to fabricate, and there are usually plenty of frame bolt holes to use for attaching.

IMG_2539.jpg IMG_2538.jpgIMG_2540.jpg
Just moved the bar over to the M916A1 as it now does most of the heavy hauling. Small additional plus is that it puts the extra weight where you want it, particularly when running bob-tailed.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally settled on under bed storage for my towbar since putting on the new dropside bed last August. I used a shackle mount bolted to the bed under the floor with a 1/4" steel backing plate in the bed for strength. A grade 5 7/8"-9 X 10" bolt with nut and washer secure it to the shackle mount via the towbar 1" feet. On the lunette end I used a cargo strap looped through a 5/8" heavy duty oval lifting eye nut bolted to the frame. It is very secure on the shackle/bolt side once the nut and bolt are snugged up. I will add a lock washer for insurance and maybe a locking pin through the bolt for security. The cargo strap keeps it from bouncing between the bed floor and under frame. It is fairly easy to load and unload one leg at a time.

DSC_0096.jpgDSC_0100.jpgDSC_0101.jpgDSC_0097.jpgDSC_0099.jpg