• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storm Brewing

SE Jones

I'll try to make this short. I apologize, but I don't have time for a search. Let me start by stating that my deuce is NOT set up for fording. That being said...I seem to be in the danger zone for soon to be hurricane Isaac. If I HAVE to travel any flooded roads; how deep can it get before I have problems other than aftermath servicing? If it appears to be over 3 to 3 1/2 feet I'll probably try to find another route...if I have a choice. I'll check back later for input. Lots of things to do. Thanks in advance.:shock:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember the air intake for the compressor is just under the hood. If you get water in the compressor your asking for all kinds of problems. 2cents

caliber1

The air intake mushroom, and the compressor intake should be it. I'm sure if I'm wrong thatI'll be corrected. :D Good luck up there, was supposed to go to Camp Shelby Tuesday to recover two M105s, but my darling bride made me reschedule. It's just a lil rain.aua

DieselBob

From TM 9-2320-209-10-1, Sec 4-25. FORDING OPERATION.

a. General. Your truck can ford bodies of water up to a depth of 30 inches without the use of special equipment. Special kits are available for deep water fording

It does say that this is with the bell housing plug installed in the fording location.

b. Fording.
TOOLS: Straight bar plug wrench
Ratchet wrench
1. Make sure that water is not deeper than 30 inches.
2. Using a straight bar plug wrench and ratchet handle, unscrew flywheel housing drain
plug (1) from storage boss (2).
3. Screw drain plug (1) into drain port (3).

SE Jones

Just popped inside to get a beer and check in. I can't thank you guys enough for your input. By chance, I just raised the air intake mushroom to just above the hood. Glad to know the 30" guideline. I will do my best to avoid flooded conditions but with a hurricane you just never know. I'll check back in later. Thanks again!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also add a length of hose from the compressor inlet to thte avalable nipple on the air cleaner can.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try to make this short. I apologize, but I don't have time for a search. Let me start by stating that my deuce is NOT set up for fording. That being said...I seem to be in the danger zone for soon to be hurricane Isaac. If I HAVE to travel any flooded roads; how deep can it get before I have problems other than aftermath servicing? If it appears to be over 3 to 3 1/2 feet I'll probably try to find another route...if I have a choice. I'll check back later for input. Lots of things to do. Thanks in advance.:shock:
Fording depth aside, you should only ford where you KNOW the actual depth of the water. And even then, fast flowing water can still move your truck. If you hit a channel where the road has been carved away, you could be SERIOUSLY screwed. USE EXTREME CAUTION FORDING FLOOD WATERS!! It's not like fording a stream with a stable bottom.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG, theres a hurricane coming and I never read my TM...aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some days I think the Internet is interfering with "natural selection".

SE Jones

Taking a break. Thanks again for all the input. I was born and raised here so I know the roads and the "usual" bad spots. Not too many changes in elevation down here. I know, it sucks that I haven't read the TM's yet. Between work...and work...there isn't much time left. Maybe someday...maybe. Until then you all have my humble gratitude and admiration.

3dAngus

Most important, regardless of specified max depth, go very slow in deep water. If you create a wake you artifically increase the perceived depth of the water, and create problems you normally want to avoid.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I did a rather extensive search with negative results.

Can anyone post a link to the Hurricane TM??:lol:

hahahaha, awesome.

The hurricane TM's are organized by force #s and are only on LOGSA!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG, theres a hurricane coming and I never read my TM...aua
At least he doesn't need some parts for his airpack and brakes before the hurricane gets there. And then never pay for them.

Last edited: