• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storm Chasing

jimmy-90

Keep in mind that the ford dana 60 front axle has the diff on the drivers side and can't be made to work with a chevy transfer case. the dodge front dana 60 will work but they say that the front springs don't line up perfectly and have to be forced inward to hit the spring pearches on the dodge axle. If you take the axles out of a mil pick up the rear 14-bolt axle will have to have the spring pearches cut completely off and re-located. The only way to transplant a set of heavier axles into your blazer without alot of work is to use a set of 3/4 ton axles out of a civi pick up or suburban. They made alot of suburbans with the dana 60 front and 14-bolt rear that had 3.73 gears which wouldn't be a bad choice at all for an M1009.

EF-5

If I took a 3/4 ton axles out of a suburban with 3.73 gears, about how much do you think my cruising speed and top speed drop?

That was very good info.

idM1028

As far as upgrading axles: installing anything that will make the axle more durable or stronger or rebuilding them with those components. C-clip eliminator kits, stronger axle shafts with higher spline counts, better axle bearings, etc, etc. 4wheelparts.com has an entire section dedicated to these parts. Pretty much all of them are going to be better than stock. I will say a DIY rebuild (or just plain build) on an axle can be done, but requires some special tools and is gonna be a pain in the a** the first time you do it. As far as speed drop, use the link I gave you. Top RPM for a 6.2 CUCV engine is about 2,600-2,700 RPM so cruising speeds probably around 2,000 or so. Plug these RPM's into the calculator with your gear ratios and find out for yourself. Also, your tire size will affect your top speed. I'm not gonna do ALL your homework for you ;)

jimmy-90

If I took a 3/4 ton axles out of a suburban with 3.73 gears, about how much do you think my cruising speed and top speed drop?

That was very good info.
This link will help you with that. It is an easy to use gear ratio calculator. gear ratio calculator 3.73 gears will effect your top speed a little bit but they will also make the truck accelerate faster. I'd say 3.73.1 gears give a pretty good trade off in an M1009.

EF-5

Haha thanks guys for all the info. It's a lot to take in, but very valuable! I do have a lot of homework to do. Let me mess with these gear calculators.

danoscooter

Topper Hatch

I don't know much about axels so I'm no help there but if I were gonna chase tornadoes I would have some sort of hatch or acess door on the topper that would allow a camera man the ability to film without getting out of the vehicle. Definately would have a roll cage and tons of lights.

Dang it! You got me thinking about why I need another 09! Oh well I'm sure the ole lady won't mind! Hahaha

Barrman

If you want it to drive like a modern vehicle, buy a modern vehicle, swap in the running gear from a modern vehicle or just live with what you have. The 6.2 does not like to rev. So, tall gears were used to make the 1009 go highway speeds. That was 55 mph then. That is also why the truck seems so gut less.

3.73 gears in the truck CUCV axles are probably the best compromise. Swap in an over drive transmission and 2000 rpm at 70 mph is possible.

EF-5

I have seen videos of people cruising on the highway around 72 mph in the m1009. Does it cruise that fast with stock running gear?

I'll have to do some research on the overdrive transmission. Any idea what transmissions could match the 6.2l? I'm guessing there will be an adapter plate of some sort.

Scooter I like where you are going with the hatch idea. I was actually thinking of something similar to that. I have this idea of making it a slant back (similar to the m998) without taking ceiling space away from the rear seats. It would reduce wind drag a little, but also allow a camera man to film under the cover of the roof.

idM1028

700R4's are what they normally put behind the 6.2's back in the day. They're a 4 speed OD transmission. A lot of guys don't like them because they're not as strong as the TH400's that come stock in the CUCV's, but 4L60E's (which are basically electronically controlled versions of 700R4's) can survive behind drag-raced, twin-turbo big-block muscle cars if they're built right. IIRC, the 700R4 is also a good bit longer than a TH400, so figure on doing some fabbing work. You can always throw a Gearvendors unit onto the transmission. Its very simple to install, but costs big time $$$.
I think I cool idea would be to yank the rear seats and install one big bucket seat hooked up to an electric motor. Kinda like an excavator seat or something with a joystick to rotate the seat. Just throw the camera guy in there! Of course, you'd probably be losing some cargo space at the same time. If you're not absolutely dead set on 1009, you could put a custom topper with a hatch back on a 1008 or any of the other trucks and pull the rear glass in the cab out. You'd probably have to figure out some way to seal up the space between the topper and the cab since there is a small gap. Plus, the rear suspension of any of the other trucks would laugh at the amount of weight you were putting on it. Then again, it might ride a little TOO rough still. . . Ugh, not looking forward to winter in NE.

EF-5

I have done research on different options that are available to make the m1009 drive train more sturdy, but still keep good speed.

How about this?

Switch the axles from an M1008 to the M1009. Trim the fenders or do a 4" lift in order to accommodate for 37" HMMWV tires.

I've read that the 37" tires on an M1008 will give a good 65-70mph.

Would larger tires, or an overdrive transmission be the best option?

I am considering the option of making a custom back top to the m1008 so more passengers (cameraman) can fit, then again I'll still need larger tires or another transmission to gain the necessary speed.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think mine is gonna work OK. If you look at pic #4 u can see one with the custom turret top you are looking for. It has a swivel seat in there. Its located at Jack's in Tucson, AZ.

Attachments

Last edited:

idM1028

Uh, are those handlebars off of a kids bike? I can't help but get this weird mental picture of some border patrol officer sitting back there with the little pom-pom things on the end of the handlebars. I might also have to fab up a set of mesh covers like the ones in the first pics for when the zombies come.