• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Straight Piped A3 Today!

YOUNG GUN

BKubu- That thought crossed my mind, but I think i'll keep it just in case I decide to go back to stock at some point. I made my straight pipe so it clamps in just like the stock muffler does, so it would be an easy switch back if I want.

SCRAP

I actually like how quiet my buddies a3 is, you can actually hold a conversation without sreaming, and it is convenient not to have to wear my shooters earmuffs everytime i go for a ride, but to each his own.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I miss absolute silence. My ears ring all the time, from extended loud noise exposure when I was younger. Protect your hearing before it's too late. Trust me, you'll regret not doing it.

YOUNG GUN

Believe it or not, it really did not make it that much louder than stock, it just sounds better imo.
Most of the time I am with someone when driving and have no problem conversing with them without yelling, I think the loudest thing in the cab is still the engine noise.
If I were going on a longer trip I would still use hearing protection even if it was stock.
I don't take my hearing for granted, I know several people with very poor hearing from operating heavy equipment without protection.

YOUNG GUN

Ok, I switched back to the stock muffler.

I tried it and figured I should switch back to stock and see what the real difference is.

HOLLY SH*T!!! Apparently I forgot how quiet the A3 was, I'm leaving the stock muffler on, and also replaced the torn pre-filter tube.

I guess you have to try it to see the difference, at the time when I switched it didn't seem so loud, but after putting the stock muffler back on, it's like night and day.

So... You guy's were right, I was wrong, but I'm proud to be able to admit it:-D

I still like the straight pipe sound better, but wow, it's ridiculously quiet.

Best Regards,
YOUNG GUN

Bolkbich

I like trucks that sound beefy. I have 6" straights on my autocar. When i took the muffler off of my a3, it just didnt sit right with me. i put a straight thru muffler on it . Perfect not loud, just sounds strong.

YOUNG GUN

I like trucks that sound beefy. I have 6" straights on my autocar. When i took the muffler off of my a3, it just didnt sit right with me. i put a straight thru muffler on it . Perfect not loud, just sounds strong.

I may try that at some point, but I don't like it as loud as it was.
I would prefer a stronger sound.

camp9

I miss absolute silence. My ears ring all the time, from extended loud noise exposure when I was younger. Protect your hearing before it's too late. Trust me, you'll regret not doing it.
Can I ever relate to that. When I was young I use to love straight piped tractors on the farm, espically those old 1066 IH. About in my mid 20's I started wearing those little foam ear plugs, I'm sure I can still here because of it. I always have a pair in my pocket, and can listen to my straight pipe with ear protection.

trukhead

I've had the most fun in my quiet A3. The rooster pheasant stood his ground and came up to the idling truck and I and let me know who's territory I was in, with his clucking and chest out. The 8 point buck got up out of the trail as I approached and darted 20 yards into the woods and stood and stared at the truck and I. I think the A3 is environmentally friendly so let's unite and work to make MV ownership for private ownership unrestricted!

:driver: :soapbox:

trukhead

Why in the world would you want to take out the DUST EJECTOR feature of the air cleaner system????? It is not an Exaust Gas Resurculation (EGR) system! You are taking out equipment without even understanding what it is and why it is an advantage to have it.

The dust ejector muffler system is a premium system that is specified and has been used for many years on many models of heavy duty diesel equipment to reduce the air cleaner service requirements by pulling out the heavy dust particals and sending them out the muffler. It has nothing to do with exhaust gas resurculation!!!!

It will have zero effect on power, throttle response or time to full RPM. It will require you to clean and replace the air cleaner element 4 times more often without it. Your ear is about the most piss poor diagnostic instrument available when it comes to evaluating modern diesel engine performance.

But hey, it's your tuck and you can mess it up any way you want. I guess you are more experianced and have the data to overcome years of engineering developlment and thousands and thousands of dollars of testing to vetrify the advantage of a premium air filter system that the government documented as a clear service advantange that would improve service life, reduce maintenance requirements and improve engine life to overhaul.

Cat Man
I read the TM's but didn't see that information- so much to read but very interesting stuff and I will make it my hobby to keep the A3 properly maintained.

fat lady sings [thumbzup]

The main reason I removed the muffler is because I like the way it sounds (the tube just went with it). It seems like the throttle response is better to me. The reading I've done on this forum and another didn't indicate that removing the tube in question would cause any problems. If removing the EGR tube or whatever you want to call it causes me to replace the air filter more often that's fine with me.
I certainly didn't indicate that I know more about diesel engines than the people who build them; I do know that a bunch of emissions crap is put on vehicles that hinders performance (not saying this is the case with the above mentioned tube, but it does happen).
If removing the tube is going to damage my engine than I will certainly install it in my straight pipe.

Thanks for the input.
May I apologize for the other poster's unnecessary, in your face, attitude.
It is quite rude for him/her to act as though you have committed a personal insult to him/her. Or in some way damaged his/her vehicle. 2cents

This is supposed to be a FRIENDLY blog to exchange info about our vehicles. And help each other fix our toys.
Not a place to bit**-slap people that say some thing you don't happen to agree with!

I most likely won't be putting a muffler on my M35A2... because I like the sound of a roaring diesel. A bit of irony is I don't generally like concerts because they are usually too loud. Go figure. fat lady singsfat lady singsfat lady singsfat lady singsfat lady singsfat lady singsfat lady sings

HAVE A NICE DAY. :beer::beer: and enjoy your toys.
e

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took off one end of the hose and at Idle it has a light positive pressure going into the aircleaner then when the rpm increased it switched to a negative pressure. It would seem to be on a venturie effect set up.

flyxpl

In my opinion my A3 at 45 mph is louder then my A2 . The Cat 3116 with muffler is quiet , but the 14.5 Michelins scream . I guess the straight pipe gets rid of the school bus sound . I would like to see and hear a video of the straight pipe .

Welder Sam

As much as i hate to... im going to drop a muffler onto my screaming whistler. I am also installing a vic1 just to be able to talk. The muffler wont help the michellin noise.....

AceHigh

In my opinion my A3 at 45 mph is louder then my A2 . The Cat 3116 with muffler is quiet , but the 14.5 Michelins scream . I guess the straight pipe gets rid of the school bus sound . I would like to see and hear a video of the straight pipe .
Mktopside did a video of a straight piped A3:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsxlKl45OM&context=C3da8006ADOEgsToPDskLGCz-was8PZeozmVOu6AsU[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks