• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stranded Deuce in Searchlight NV

rat4spd

I have to agree that this doesn't look quite right and I'd be one of the first to call BS so I'll give a bit more info.

The wife and I are heading back to Vegas from Laughlin along hwy 95. Out of the corner of my eye I see a deuce with the hood up in a truck stop. Kinda off on the side.
I shoot across a couple lanes and head in. I see the deuce, a pickup and a camper. The deuce has a bunch of stuff in the back and covered with a grey poly tarp. There is a woman and child sitting on the side of the parking lot between the deuce and pickup on a blanket with toys etc and the dog laying there as well. This guy approaches from the same side and I preceed to talk to him about his deuce. He tells me he was heading down the grade when the compressor went out. He said a piston went out...I'm assuming it's a twin piston cause it looked like one. My deuce has a single piston. He said he has been waiting 3 days for a compressor to arrive from Idaho Motor pool. He talked to me about trying a tire compressor with no luck. He said his friend, the guy following with the camper, is a deuce mechanic from Nam. I look under the hood and the compressor is on the truck but the belt is off along with the pulley. He said he was from Washington and his deuce had Washington tags. I'm assuming by the stuff loaded in back, he was moving. I couldn't stay much longer as I had to catch a flight home. I gave him the SS website and told him to get on board to see if someone could help.

I called the truck stop today and the station attendant told me the compressor finally got there yesterday UPS but according to the guy with the "old army truck" it was the wrong compressor. The attendant said they were working on it most of the day yesterday. I gave the service attendant my cell phone for the guy to call. I've not heard from him nor have I seen him sign up on the site to get some help.

That's about the whole story. I wish I got his cell phone number but wasn't thinking about it at the time. I couldn't tell ya if it's a scam or not but the fact that he never asked me for one penny, nor did he ask me for parts, nor did he ask me for anything and the fact that the station attendant who answered the phone coroborated pretty much the same story tells me it's probably legit. I don't know about other folks but I'm gonna take the good samaritan path this time.

I would say we should all keep any info in plain site on the thread to insure this is legit.

It just felt good trying to help a fellow deuce owner out...that's all...

BigMike: I'm not calling your telling of the story into question by anymeans. I'm just saying the situation you described is BS. I've been naive and on amny cross country trips, BUT, I always had a bailout.

Hell, State Farm would've gotten me out of there by now.

I hope the best for the guy, and especially his passengers, but I hope there is a lesson to be learned the next time he tries this.

Reactions: DUG

Jeeperjoe

tried 2 times but the number wouldnt go through, if you are describing this correctly sounds like hes got a few more problems than a broke compressor... ill take pics :)

Jeeperjoe

Well i guess it was a nice day for a 3 hour tour :)

Yeah got to searchlight and there was no duece there. im gonna have to assume he either had it towed out or got it movin... best of luck to the driver...

zb39

When I called this am they said he was still there. Sounds like it may have worked out...Thank You for checking Joe..:-D

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that's great!!

I'm glad they got back on the road. Thanks for the effort Joe. You're a good guy for checkin' it out.

Sounds like UPS is getting worse! My wife and I snowbird in Laughlin and I would have helped out but I,m back in Montana. It is a desolate area outside the towns. Last December the roads going to Las Vegas and to Searchllight were closed when it snowed!! The Vegas airport was closed because they did not have any snow removal equipment. Interstates were also closed coming out of Vegas. Hope the guy got going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks