• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange 24v question

Jeeper10

I just went out to start my deuce and a half has it hasn't been run in almost a week. I turn the power on meson the battery was in the yellow and I went ahead and started it up. It started just fine and the needle remained in the yellow for about a minute, all the other gauges looked normal. Then fairly suddenly the battery needle jumped right up into the green at that very moment both my fuel and oil pressure gauge needles Pegged and stayed there. Everything else seems normal and sounded OK. Though I did shut it off shortly after just in case. Any thoughts? There are a lot of extra wires in and around the battering apartment that I do not have hooked up. They appear to belong to an accessory hydraulic unit that is unused. But perhaps I have something hooked up in properly in there as I was only educated guessing on the hookups as there were no batteries in it when I purchased it, which in hindsight was stupid I suppose. Thanks again for all the help everyone, I hope to eventually gain enough knowledge that I can actually contribute to the site instead of always asking questions.

The HUlk

I just went out to start my deuce and a half has it hasn't been run in almost a week. I turn the power on meson the battery was in the yellow and I went ahead and started it up. It started just fine and the needle remained in the yellow for about a minute, all the other gauges looked normal. Then fairly suddenly the battery needle jumped right up into the green at that very moment both my fuel and oil pressure gauge needles Pegged and stayed there. Everything else seems normal and sounded OK. Though I did shut it off shortly after just in case. Any thoughts? There are a lot of extra wires in and around the battering apartment that I do not have hooked up. They appear to belong to an accessory hydraulic unit that is unused. But perhaps I have something hooked up in properly in there as I was only educated guessing on the hookups as there were no batteries in it when I purchased it, which in hindsight was stupid I suppose. Thanks again for all the help everyone, I hope to eventually gain enough knowledge that I can actually contribute to the site instead of always asking questions.
The voltage needle staying in the yellow is usually indicative of no charging output from the alternator. I would check the wiring connections at the battery and alternator. Be carefull not to ground out any wrenches while doing this.

AZK9

When I first got my M35A2, my gauges sometimes 'jumped' like you describe, but once I
began 'cleaning-up' the electrical system... they've been stable.

Are you able to check the alternator output with a meter? You know that I'm no expert
with 'things electrical', but I do think the what The Hulk suggests... is a good first step.

Good luck and let us know how things progress! [thumbzup]

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like above I'd check the alternator for propper voltage , before I recovered mine I had to hunt down a couple electrical demons on top of a new alternator .

dmetalmiki

Ah, but when you ask questions other folks see the answers as well. And just sometimes one learns something by not jumping in too quickly. As mentioned before definately check for loose connections, At the alternator and batteries. Check the output of same when all connections are clean (ed) and tight.

18operator

Hey there, as I've learned and as the other gentlemen said, check the connections. Don't forget the grounds running from the engine to the frame. You'd be surprised how much those grounds can mess with things.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't find any other problems, check your alternator belt. After setting a few days, and a startup, there will be attempted heavy charging to top up the batteries. If the belt is a little loose it can slip and alt output will be too low to show on the meter. A few seconds of charging allows charge current to back down a little, alternator does not slip the belt as much, and charging shows on gauge.

Jeeper10

Thank you everyone for the replies, I do think it's more than a gauge issue as when the needle bounces to the green other gauges go nuts. The oil pressure gauge and fuel gauge peg all the way up. I will look for loose wiring, etc. over the weekend. Thanks again I will let you guys know how I make out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks