• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Exhaust Arrangement 003A

steelandcanvas

While working on a 003A genset w/ASK for a Bud of mine, I noticed this strange arrangement of 45's in the exhaust box. Any reason for this being done? I would think you'd want just the turned down 45's that came with the unit to keep water out of the engine. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Jimc

haha yeah its call some genius didn't know what he was doing. really i dont think there is supposed to be any 45's on there with an ask. the exhaust should point down to absorb the sound and then the fumes just rise out of the chamber.

DieselBob

Someone thought that might help with exhaust flow maybe. Tried to angle it up some for a better flow not realizing every turn adds to restriction let alone the proximity of the insulation.

dependable

I bought an 002 w ASK from GL that was set up the same way. No surprise there was some water in the cylinders. I thought maybe it had been run at some point with flex tubing.

steelypip

I've got a 90 on mine, but then I have a tractor muffler and stack flap on it which seems to do a fine job of keeping the water and wasps out... It does help some with the exhaust noise when the set is working hard, although my non-ASK set is otherwise just as loud as you'd expect.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have seen those used with a remote exhaust setup where the genny was set up with a sandbag berm on three sides and the exhaust was routed up via flex tubing (I have a butt load of those tubes if anyone is interested) to send the exhaust gasses up. When it rained they just put cans on the pipes if the genny wasn't running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks