• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Part

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A while ago, I purchased a deuce for its parts. I have been slowly removing parts and pieces, cleaning and painting them as I go and putting them in my "Parts Room". While working on disassembly, I noticed this critter attached to my steering linkage. I studied it for a bit, following the hoses and trying to understand what it is and how it works.

20240201_135833.jpg20240201_135820.jpg

These two items are connected by flexible, cloth covered hoses. They appear to be a pneumatic "power steering" system, or at least a steering enhancement. Have any of you all seen this system on your trucks? Please advise...

Peace in Christ...
Leo

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the "Air-O-Matic" steering assist system. It was a military kit first available in the 1980's.
NDT... Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I found this add-on kit in TM 9-2320-386-24P, Figure 120 (+). I think I will put this on my daily driver. I have no idea how to bench test it, but I will figure something out. I haven't been able to locate a rebuild kit yet, but I am sure it's available somewhere. I think my biggest fear is the assist cylinder being scarred or pitted. After seeing what was inside my airpack, I wouldn't be surprised if the assist cylinder is filled with water or something...

Peace in Christ...
Leo

HDN

I didn't realize the Air-O-Matic was a military kit! How was it decided whether any were purchased? Did units who consistently skipped "Arm Day" get them?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Peashooter I think it was sold off dozens of these kits like 15 years ago. I still have one. I honestly don’t think the military installed many on trucks. Of course the A3s got the kit when they were built.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NSN for this kit is 2530-01-388-4240. The MATCAT code if F2200, meaning it is a stock funded item, and can be procured at the unit level. Although purchased at the unit level with Class IX funds, it could only be installed at a depot maintenance level.

HDN

The NSN for this kit is 2530-01-388-4240. The MATCAT code if F2200, meaning it is a stock funded item, and can be procured at the unit level. Although purchased at the unit level with Class IX funds, it could only be installed at a depot maintenance level.
That sounds pretty convoluted o_O But that's typical for the government isn't it? 🙄