• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange road speed-related air puffing sound

HDN

I was on my way home and about 3 miles away from there when I started hearing a kind of puffing sound, which seemed to originate from the front driverside wheel.

It was a "tss tss tss" sound that varied with road speed, independent of the air-assisted steering. It happens going both forwards and backwards (I noticed the backwards occurrence while jockeying the truck into its home parking spot).

CTIS was not turned on - it's non-functional on my truck and a low priority on my fix list.

After I parked the truck, I checked the front driveshaft and wheels for anything that might be rubbing and making the noise and couldn't find anything.

I'll have more time next weekend to better ID what's causing the sound. In the mean time, does anyone here have any ideas?

fpchief

That is exactly the sound I had on the M923a2 when a tire sidewall cracked and let air out...only when it was on the bottom. Even got out, looked at it and could not see it.

HDN

That is exactly the sound I had on the M923a2 when a tire sidewall cracked and let air out...only when it was on the bottom. Even got out, looked at it and could not see it.
That makes a ton of sense! I was hoping to get to the end of the year with these tires, but it seems that I'll be replacing some before the winter, especially on the steering axle! I'll check that (from a safe distance) but I bet you're right.

fpchief

That makes a ton of sense! I was hoping to get to the end of the year with these tires, but it seems that I'll be replacing some before the winter, especially on the steering axle! I'll check that (from a safe distance) but I bet you're right.
Mine was left steer, so I could slowly roll and listen.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put NEW tires up front
Don't loose the trucki and get hurt for a tire.
When I was on active duty, one of our guys put a recap on the front of a 5-ton. This was strictly forbidden. Only new tires were permitted on the front. One of the recaps blew out, he lost control of the truck, crossed the centerline hitting a civilian car, and wiped out an entire German family. He was court martialed and we never saw him again. Under the Status of Forces Agreement, I believe he ended up in a German prison.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This /\ quite common, had a few tires on different vehicles do this lately.

smoke

I know you guys say tire but how about air dryer blow off valve sticking or cycle too much. It would vary depending on rpm but could seem road speed. More rpm (road speed) more cycling less rpm ( slowing down road speed) less cycling. My 2 cents.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

I know you guys say tire but how about air dryer blow off valve sticking or cycle too much. It would vary depending on rpm but could seem road speed. More rpm (road speed) more cycling less rpm ( slowing down road speed) less cycling. My 2 cents.
I considered that, but the sound was coming from the front of the truck so at first I thought it was the compressor. I was checking my air gauge while on the move and didn't see anything weird happening. It seems based on the feedback so far that the tire needs to be replaced due to a compromised sidewall. I'm just glad it made itself apparent close to home and not any farther!

I've never experienced this on a vehicle before as my daily drivers wear out their tread well before the rubber deteriorates. I'm glad someone on here has had the same experience to share :) Well it looks like I'm going to talk to a tire shop sooner than later!

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try spraying it down with soapy water to locate the leak. If there's a leak, it should still give some indication, even if you can't hear it leaking. Slow leak usually gives more of a foam vs. bubbles.

I'm not very fluent in CTIS, but might check at the bearings also. Depending on how the system was disabled, may still have air going through them. If so, it could make the wheel speed relationship make sense. Again, not knowledgeable about these, just an idea.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you need to do is drive forward until you hear the noise, stop, exit the vehicle and watch the tire go flat. The split sidewall will be between the wheel and the ground.UploadFile1600738987.561295.jpg The offending tire will most likely already be flat next time you go out to the truck though.

snowtrac nome

i dont have pictures to post but while im waiting for o rings to come for my tires i have one now with 2 cracks and 5 plugs total in the side wall keeping teh tire aired up so im not walking around on foot. i had to go running on run flat 2 days before teh rain let up enough i could go look for the leak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks