• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Truck

humble1

Several months ago, there was a posting in the classifieds for some type of strange truck. I don't remember the code for it and I can't find a picture of it so I am hoping someone here can help me i.d. it by what little I remember of it, because it just won't get out of my head.

The truck was a late 1960's four axle, cabover, amphibious, cargo truck. Powered by a turned up LD-465 run through an automatic. I beleive the front two axles where steer axles. I know that they are rare because I tried to research it when I found it here, but now for the life of me, I can't remember what it was called.

Anyone here able to i.d. what model of truck this by my meager description?

Humble1

sangamon

humble1,

You're probably talking about my M656, which I bought from Stalwart. It's terrific. I'm hoping to get the steering put back together this coming Wednesday. Search for "m656" in the forum and you will find a plethora of pictures.

humble1

That is the truck Sangamon! Thanks for keeping us all updated as you care for it. Let us know if you actually take it in the water. I am still betting it sinks like a rock despite what the design says. Something as big and brick like as that truck just shouldnt float!

Humble1

sangamon

Humble1 & timntrucks,

I have no intention of trying to swim the truck.

Most of the easily accessible water in my area is salt water.

There's a lot of 41 year old wiring that will get wet.

Much like "flank" speed on ships, the amphibious feature is great if someone is shooting at you.

My place in Blaine is less than a mile from the border with Canada - maybe when they invade I'll get my chance.

I live on a tugboat in Seattle, so I just use that when I want to float around.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the truck Sangamon! Thanks for keeping us all updated as you care for it. Let us know if you actually take it in the water. I am still betting it sinks like a rock despite what the design says. Something as big and brick like as that truck just shouldnt float!

Humble1
Hmm...it's "brick like" for a reason. The boxy cab and the bed are all aluminum (this 5-ton truck weighs less than my deuce/HIAB) and dimensioned to create the right amount of buoyancy for a loaded vehicle. Most cavities are filled with polyurethane foam, not so much on the 757 version, but it's there. The cab has continuous welds for waterproof construction.
The cargo version has bilge pumps and pressurized door and bed side seals. I could go on, but maybe you get the picture. Unless abused, the seals and wiring should be fine..most all of it on my 757 are in excellent condition....and there is virtually no rust to be found anywhere, except for some superficial, which is now long gone (image #2) on my truck, at least...

Edit: Added image.

Attachments

Last edited:

REO 54

Bring it on Stan!Could you bring some fries w/gravy too?Hey Sangamon,have you considerd joining up at the PNW rally.It would be really cool to see that rig up close and personal

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks