• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

strech 816 into 819?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might need a frame stretcher too! I'm with Jim though. If the mission is to move a 5th wheel trailer and you already have an M816 in stock, obtain a converter dolly.

Csm Davis

wreckerman thanks for the specs but with the fifth wheel on the truck not on a dolly it will be standard tractor trailer rules 75 feet max and the extra axle or axles will help on scales if I actually went through as a CDL(won't happen) but the main trailer will be my M971. Also what do the 819 do with their boom while towing a trailer? and yes I know it will take an empty super wal-mart parking lot to do a u-turn.:twisted:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a lowbed or a flat rack, just let the boom over hang the deck or goose neck, don't think there will be enough clearance between the front of a van and the back of the boom if the boom is swung over the front

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to make a M933. I'd take a 819 and a 928 and combine them. I actually already have the data plate. I'm not sure why data plates were made when I don't think they made the trucks...

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I don't need you guys to post any pics to help me out, I just bought one!
****-it Jeff, you know I was about to.........

How about putting the big winch behind the cab - or even a pair of smaller ones and run the cables below deck down either side?
We have already discussed the crappy locker situation ad infinitum, so there is an option... Or put the 45K on the front of the truck, or put a big winch on the goose neck of the trailer and wet line it......

"pencil" at the ready. . . . . .

Oooops (****), what I meant to say was "dang-it"!

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too many "M" numbers! My brain hurts.....

What do you want to do with the XL 928? It only has single frame members so would pretzle just looking at your first load...

You want to make a 900 series 819... is that the plan? Oh yeah.. AND add the big winch.

How about loosing the rotator..... putting an *-off winch on a stretched 818 and adding a Hiab(k-boom)........
Then again, if you have a dead 816, you could scrap the crane and lockers 3A and 3B, move up the winch, drop on the 5th wheel then squeeze in a K-boom. Bazinga!

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you need to decide on your requirements. Making an XM933 (big assumption here that that is the 900's version 819) would be nice since they (military) never 'finished' the idea, but for functionallity around your yard/local...

Useage:

recovery - big winch/ground spades etc:........? %
sus-towing - crane/tow frame.......................?%
semi trailer - fifth wheel...............................?%
servicing/chopping trucks etc - crane.............?%

locker space for 'kit'.....?
required tow capacity (5th wheel)?
required turning radius...?

work this out, to some degree, then we can proceed subject to your available pieces parts.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't see and adjusted "signature" line for the 819 yet!!!

Got 819 add 939 cab,
You don't need a drawing for that - just do it and post the pics for us to look at..... by next weekend!

Now give me something that does need a drawing for : )

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would not put a 45,000 winch on the front, there is already a huge load on the front axle and tires of a m819

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB do you have more than one of those data plates? Would love to see picture of it.
I only have the one. Here is a photo of it with my M815 data plate, two of the three noteworthy plates I have. I also have a M819 data plate. I would like to own any of these trucks.

Attachments

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just removed a screwed up post, sorry, will try to do better.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks