• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Street Legal and register 5 ton for commercial use?

73rdTLFM

Does anyone have EXPERIENCE titling M931a2 and using it commercially? Texas is the AO we are working on. Mods needed for road worthy? what type of title? License required?

Scooteerr

I would use the search function on this website first and do some research... These trucks are not ideal for commercial use. They are slow and lack creature comforts, like ac. I know Titling in the state of TX has been covered before. As for mods for legal road use, I think they are street legal right out of the box, just not ideal.

TexAndy

If I had a commercial farm and lived within 5 or 10 miles of the elevator/gin/whatever, I'd buy a fleet of 939s to haul the product.
They're cheap, have a decent capacity, reasonable road speed, cheap, easy to operate, and cheap.

RedBlok

In Va they require a CDL class B with airbrake for commercial. I have mine as private, use, but if I hook a trailer to it, I have to get the class B with airbrake endorsement.

hipaa

From personal experience there are WAY too many variables. The rules are very state specific. You should call your Texas Commercial Truck Enforcement Branch. In Houston it is

12230 West Road Houston, TX. 77065 TX: 281.517.1259

This will save you a lot of time and trouble on here and avoid any conflicts. Good Luck.

wcuhillbilly

From personal experience there are WAY too many variables. The rules are very state specific. You should call your Texas Commercial Truck Enforcement Branch. In Houston it is

12230 West Road Houston, TX. 77065 TX: 281.517.1259

This will save you a lot of time and trouble on here and avoid any conflicts. Good Luck.

:ditto:
i got my 816 wrecker from a guy in CO who titled it after he got it from DRMO in Salt lake, thus i avoided the row, sham bo, of the titleing game. WYoming is farely easy compaired to most. (does it move on its own,,,, does it have at least one brake light, headlite,,,,, Ok,, son, heres your title, now go pay for tags.....)
I have seen this topic get guys pitched off this forum, as alot of "heres how you get around the system" seems to find its way to these topics.....
I use mine commercially and thankfully Wy doesnt require an inspection for tagging, now I do need to get a DOT # for operation as a "wrecker" before I go for the Highway Patrol inpection for callout/wrecker service. Thus far i havent done this as I use it for towing my JD 450 Dozer and self recovery when said dozer is deeper than it should be. Side note, I titled/tagged it as a 1970 Kaiser Model XM816 and thats what my insurance knows it as too, you mention former military truck and doors start getting slammed in your face faster than an evangilist at a strip joint.
CDL with at least airbrake endorsement should be a must if your going to operate in a marginal for hire capacity. trying to skate around the system will get you and all of us in major trouble.
Good luck with it.. I know some states are trying to shut us down but these rigs have alot of offer, just in a slow speed kind of way...

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have EXPERIENCE titling M931a2 and using it commercially? Texas is the AO we are working on. Mods needed for road worthy? what type of title? License required?
Did you ever get an answer? I am running into problems with Texas not wanting to title a M915 as a CMV, Oklahoma had no problem with it, the truck ran for 2 yrs in OK with interstate/prorated tags, now Texas doesnt want to tag it because 'there is no sticker on the truck that says it is DOT approved' My response is 'a 1985 Pete 359 as no sticker like that and you tag it with no problem'

gottaluvit

It was easy for me in Ohio, but I already had the CDL and I only haul intrastate. Just gotta pay for plates, get commercial vehicle inspection (fed law), and get USDOT number and your state's number. Ours is done by the public utilities commision. I had no need or want to shortcut anything as being legal is zero stress and relaxing. The inspector just loved the truck. Supposed to take an hour but he spent two because he was amazed how overbuilt the rig is made. No infractions to be found. Keep your truck clean and well painted and a cop won't even think about pulling you over to inspect it. Keep it looking brand new with spray cans if you get a skuff.20151005_150419.jpg

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was easy for me in Ohio, but I already had the CDL and I only haul intrastate. Just gotta pay for plates, get commercial vehicle inspection (fed law), and get USDOT number and your state's number. Ours is done by the public utilities commision. I had no need or want to shortcut anything as being legal is zero stress and relaxing. The inspector just loved the truck. Supposed to take an hour but he spent two because he was amazed how overbuilt the rig is made. No infractions to be found. Keep your truck clean and well painted and a cop won't even think about pulling you over to inspect it. Keep it looking brand new with spray cans if you get a skuff.View attachment 606152
Was this directed at me?

If so, the truck is fresh rebuilt in 07, we got it at 200 miles, now has about 100K from running interstate. We have a trucking company thats been in business 10+ years with multiple trucks tagged interstate. I think the tag office person is only 'uneducated' on tagging FMV CMV's and doesnt want to say I dont know how to do this.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Was this directed at me?

If so, the truck is fresh rebuilt in 07, we got it at 200 miles, now has about 100K from running interstate. We have a trucking company thats been in business 10+ years with multiple trucks tagged interstate. I think the office person is only 'uneducated' and doesnt want to say I dont know how to do this.
No. The original post. Lost me on office person, however.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tag office where we get our interstate tags, that was the office person... I will edit the post.

gottaluvit

The tag office where we get our interstate tags, that was the office person... I will edit the post.
Oh, I see. The whole interstate thing had me nervous, and WV laws (just 20 min from state line) really make me nervous!

That daggone pride thing! Gets us every time. My title office is county level and when the lady finished mine I told her I would come to her directly next time and she begged me not to!

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, try living in the OK panhandle, dont have a choice but to be interstate when your within 60 miles of 4 other states.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks