• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripped bolts

Wild Horse Hans

Anyone else running into stripped bolts on their deuce?
Seems every single project I start on mine I have a couple of bolts that are stripped. Today I was going to change out my box seat for the spring seat. I got all 4 bolts out of the base and went to take the 4 out of the co drivers seat where it bolts to the box frame. 2 of the nuts just spun on the bolt.
Last project was to change out a fender and had 3 stripped bolts on the composite light guard.
The bolts on the co drivers seat are tough to get to in the first place and the only way I think I can get this seat swap done is to pull both seats out together and see if I can get the bolts out while the seats are laying on the ground upside down.
What a pain this is. A simple maybe 1 hour project is going to take the rest of the day if I can get the seats out without a soldier B to help.
I'm starting to think Kaiser had Mongo putting the bolts on these trucks without adult supervision!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are your bolts stripping or are the captured nuts spinning? What I do is if the nuts start spinning I hold the nut with some vice-grips. On installation I just go back with a standard nut. There are some bolts that you have no access to the back side though. If that happens I've been known to cut an access hole,weld in a new nut, and patch it back. I had to do this on the cab-to-fender bolts on my truck.

Fine thread bolts do tend to strip worse than course thread when they are rusty also.

stampy

Gator grip sockets fit even stripped bolts. I had to remove the rusted floor on my 109 so I know what a pain they can be I also have a metrench set that grabs on the flats not the edge of the bolt so they dont strip as easy.:-D

Wild Horse Hans

Not blind bolts like on the fender. Been there too!!!:-D
To look at the bolt and nut you would think nothing was wrong. Nut just spins on the bolt like there are no threads in that spot on the bolt. I got the seat assembly out and it is upside down so I can at least to them and will see what I can figure out today.
The part of this that makes me laugh is all the parts I am putting on this deuce came from two that are in a junkyard. All of the bolts on the junkyard trucks came out or off with no trouble at all. I of course have to take the same bolts out of the nice deuce, and they are the ones that are stripped!:-D

Wild Horse Hans

Problem solved. Thors mighty hammer snapped them off clean as a whistle. Gotta love the bolts used in MVs. A couple of good hits and they snap right off.
Got the spring seat and co drivers seat back in but not sure it will stay in. Being 6'2" with the spring seat, my knees hit the steering wheel when I try for the brake, clutch or fuel pedal. Took a short trip around the block and can see real problems coming if I have to do anything fast to avoid anything. Box seat may be going back in. On the up side with the seats out I was able to give the cab a good cleaning out so it was not a total loss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks