• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripped pto gear in spicer 3053 again! Now what

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I reralize this thread is about the tranny PTO's, but if using a deuce T-case PTO (rear-facing) unit instead, be careful with the loading and operation of it.. They are found on fuel tankers and pole-setting trucks, perhaps one or two others.... They are supposedly tender inside.

40 years ago at Ft Drum, some impatient yahoo decided to fire up "my" M49A2C to get fuel while I was in line at the mess tent a quarter-mile away on the other side of the woods.. I had been assigned the truck for about 2 years at the time, heard its whistle and did a "WTH?" .. I knew there wasn't another whistler over in that locale.. The back doors were locked, compartment valves closed, and gate valve shut.. They weren't gonna get any farther than firing it up.. Maybe get 5 to 10 gallons drained from the hose... But they managed to break something in the T-case for the rear pto to the dispensing pump and then they skidaddled...

During the next few days I had to gravity about half the load off until the Field Trains M49C was low enough to suck mine empty.. Then I took it over to the Bn Maint tent and watched them try a few things for a few hours until midnight, but no luck... Eventually it landed at Brigade Maint... I was told the internal parts were difficult to find (but how the heck could that be?)

Anyway, Bn Maint said somebody apparently yanked the pto into gear without clutching enough, or was not gentle enough, or maybe used no clutch at all ... Who the H knows.. But everyone was mad including this Sp5.. The rear T-case pto is supposed to be engaged after the tranny is put in 2nd gear, clutch in, with T-case in neutral.. Sometimes you have to let the clutch out just an easy hair to do a slow "click click" for PTO gear to mesh cleanly..

My truck was at the Brigade shop about 4 months and I recall this was all a big deal with some angry brass for awhile... There were only two M49C-types available for the entire Tank (armor) Battalion.. My 1976 "new" AM-General was busted, leaving them with one 1950's M49C Reo gasser with a tired engine... I never heard who the idiot was that busted the PTO nor whether anyone knew who.. The only tire tracks in the dirt were jeeps and 5/4's.. The gaggle of gasser 5-tons were taken care of by the field trains M49C ...

Needless to say, every time I fired up my personal M49C (parted out now) or fire up my current M49A2C, I am reminded of that day and the subsequent months after .. Go easy on those PTO's out there ! (y)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks