• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripped wheel stud or bad hub?

sed6

Finally got a lug wrench and breaker bar and set about properly torquing all my lug nuts. 55/60 torqued properly to about 425 lb/ft but 5 on my front right wheel would only torque to about 200 lbs before the stud spin in the hub. So my question for you experienced types, do you think the splines on the stud or the hub are bad? I don't want to buy/install 5 new studs only to find out it's a bad hub thats not holding the studs properly. IF the hub is bad can I tack weld the stud to the hub to keep it from spinning?
Thanks!

tobyS

You will have a hard time welding a steel stud to the cast hub unless the hub is cast steel, not iron.

Personally I'd pull a couple of the studs and look at the knurls. If they are barely there, buy new studs, but if they are obvious, then your hole size is opened up and new probably won't grip either.

One possibility.... to close up the holes a bit, with the hubs off, you can use a sharp, small chisel and put the corner into the hole bore, making a divit that pushes some metal out . With enough work, you can tighten up your hole...I think. I have used this method on electric motors with lose bearings but never tried on lose studs.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way to know is to disassemble it and inspect it. Being that it is a front hub if there is any damage it should be replaced not cobbled up to save a few dollars at the cost of safety.

HanksDeuce

Crazy question but did you tighten the lugs in the correct direction on the ones that are spinning? In my haste of building my bobber I loosened a few lug nuts the wrong direction with my geared lug wrench and I stripped the threads. Just checking. The paint was so thick on the stud that I couldn't see the proper rotation direction. I ended up cutting the few lug nuts in half with a dremel, hammer, and chisel. Then I replaced the bad studs with spares I had on the spare axle. See it is a good thing to have a bobber sometimes!

sed6

Crazy question but did you tighten the lugs in the correct direction on the ones that are spinning? In my haste of building my bobber I loosened a few lug nuts the wrong direction with my geared lug wrench and I stripped the threads. Just checking. The paint was so thick on the stud that I couldn't see the proper rotation direction. I ended up cutting the few lug nuts in half with a dremel, hammer, and chisel. Then I replaced the bad studs with spares I had on the spare axle. See it is a good thing to have a bobber sometimes!
Eikes! I don't forsee that much trouble in my future. I am going in the right direction and I can loosen them just fine. I wonder which steel is stronger, hub or stud? I'm hoping just the studs are stipped.

sed6

Forum member and all around nice guy 98G hooked me up with 4 new studs! Now I need one more right stud and one left lug nut (both for super singles). Anyone have one or both?

Pic 1 it wasn't that long ago I had the wheel off replacing replacing a stud I broke on my "test drive"
Pic 2 New studs and my old broken one. Went to look for the nut where I thought it might have come off but no bueno.

Attachments