• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strongly considering selling 002a to put towards 802a at auction.. opinions ?

CDR

Where in ny are u. And what dont u like about them?
I'm in New York. Here is what I like about the 802 it's quiet and after that I hate everything. Not sure how it's built military grade. Chafing wires broken wire ends leaky fuel tanks and water in motors the list goes on and on. Love my 002 hate my 802

rustystud

I'm in New York. Here is what I like about the 802 it's quiet and after that I hate everything. Not sure how it's built military grade. Chafing wires broken wire ends leaky fuel tanks and water in motors the list goes on and on. Love my 002 hate my 802
I was wondering about the water issue too ! Peter in his rebuild project had a ton of water damage in all three engines. My MEP-002A & MEP-003A have set outside for years with no water ever getting in.

Chrispyny

my dad has an 002 and its enclosed. he bought some flex exhaust pipe and a muffler from napa then ran the exhaust out. with then enclosure and muffler you cant even hear the thing run. no different than a car running in the driveway. its almost strange quiet. just doesnt seem right lol.
Jim, i'd love to see a few pics of your dads set up. I's LOVE to build something like his. Any chance you can get a few pics up or email to me please ?

Glockfan

I ran an MEP-802a for nearly five straight days earlier this year when we had our ice storm. I burned 5 gallons of diesel per 24 hours and ran everything in my house without issues. At the time, we were on natural gas for heat. Now I am in a total electric house and have elected to go with a MEP-803a and have connected it up properly with a legal DPDT transfer switch. I have load tested it running my central A/C, my oven set at 400 degrees, and my clothes dryer. I was able to load it to about 105% and it ran flawlessly.

The 802a would run our clothes dryer, lights, furnace (gas), and a microwave almost at the same time. I do not understand the all the hatred from those who own those loud air-cooled 002's and 003's. There is a reason why we are using the TQG's now. The air cooled ones were not replaced by the TQG's because the TQG's suck. I have had personal experience seeing these things run for MONTHS on end with little maintenance in some of the crappiest locations on earth. I have seen several TQG's will 9000+ hours on them.

I can't remember the last air cooled set I seen with anywhere near that many hours. I am not saying they don't exist its just that I have not personally put my hands on any...

Just my two cents... If you want to see my thread where I have my 803a hooked up to my new house, look here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...way-as-my-home-standby-generator-Install-pics

rustystud

I ran an MEP-802a for nearly five straight days earlier this year when we had our ice storm. I burned 5 gallons of diesel per 24 hours and ran everything in my house without issues. At the time, we were on natural gas for heat. Now I am in a total electric house and have elected to go with a MEP-803a and have connected it up properly with a legal DPDT transfer switch. I have load tested it running my central A/C, my oven set at 400 degrees, and my clothes dryer. I was able to load it to about 105% and it ran flawlessly.

The 802a would run our clothes dryer, lights, furnace (gas), and a microwave almost at the same time. I do not understand the all the hatred from those who own those loud air-cooled 002's and 003's. There is a reason why we are using the TQG's now. The air cooled ones were not replaced by the TQG's because the TQG's suck. I have had personal experience seeing these things run for MONTHS on end with little maintenance in some of the crappiest locations on earth. I have seen several TQG's will 9000+ hours on them.

I can't remember the last air cooled set I seen with anywhere near that many hours. I am not saying they don't exist its just that I have not personally put my hands on any...

Just my two cents... If you want to see my thread where I have my 803a hooked up to my new house, look here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...way-as-my-home-standby-generator-Install-pics
I'm just wondering if the older MEP-002A & MEP-003A where built more sturdy then the MEP-802A & MEP803A are. After all I have never seen an older MEP with water in it from normal storage. Just saying. I still would love to buy a MEP802A someday.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I'm just wondering if the older MEP-002A & MEP-003A where built more sturdy then the MEP-802A & MEP803A are. After all I have never seen an older MEP with water in it from normal storage. Just saying. I still would love to buy a MEP802A someday.
802 and 803 plus others don't get water in engine from 'normal' storage. they get water in exhaust from extended storage outside with the exhaust flap open or removed. while this is probably a design flaw it is very avoidable.

Ratch

I wouldn't say "hate" for the 80x. They start easy and run quiet, but aside from the sound, I'm not sure they're a better machine. I believe the long run times, that's what most of the mil spec gensets are made for. Drop it at a fob in Afghanistan and run it til the dust kills it. I saw dozens returned from Afghanistan service with ok performance.

I have both an 002 and an 802, and I have seen my 802 get more sooty and gooey than the 002 on long periods of light load (like overnight with all the lights off). Then it blows glowing carbon sparks into the night when the well pump kicks on, etc.

The 002 didn't seem to care if it was loaded or not, it chugs along just fine. The exhaust and oil stay the same whether it gets beaten daily or lightly loaded.

As an owner of both, I'm torn on which is "better". I trust the 002 for sudden and excess loads, but I like that my wife could roll out and start the 802 if I were out of town.

Last edited:

Ratch

Well my power is out, so the 002 is currently in service.

I think if I'm going to settle on a genset, I'm going to get an 003.

The 002 is loud as heck, probably because my neighbor and I are the only ones without power, so no one else has a genset on. And, there are no leaves on the tree, there's wet snow on the ground, etc.

I opted for the 002 tonight because I know we'll need the boiler/heat intermittently, and I want hot water in the morning. And I really like my 300watt mattress heater. And, I'll be running most of the night with little to no-load, which isn't healthy for the 802.

I had the 002 pegged at 125% while the boiler, water heater, mattress heater, and lights were on. It dropped to 58hz, but wasn't struggling. I even turned it back up to 60hz. I was really pleased there was no smoke or real notable change in engine tone.

But if my well pump kicked in, I'm sure it would have choked or tripped a breaker.

I currently have a brand new Onan 35kw not wired in, but I'm waffling on keeping it or selling it and sticking with an indoor mep.

I think at this point, I'm willing to trade my 802 for a nice condition 003. The noise is annoying, but if I settle on that, I'll take practical steps to reduce it.

So I do really like the 802, I just don't see it being well suited to my needs for winter loads. It's a really nice generator that I'd rather be using, too. My property is insanely quiet on these nice snowy nights.

Last edited:

rustystud

Well my power is out, so the 002 is currently in service.

I think if I'm going to settle on a genset, I'm going to get an 003.

The 002 is loud as heck, probably because my neighbor and I are the only ones without power, so no one else has a genset on. And, there are no leaves on the tree, there's wet snow on the ground, etc.

I opted for the 002 tonight because I know we'll need the boiler/heat intermittently, and I want hot water in the morning. And I really like my 300watt mattress heater. And, I'll be running most of the night with little to no-load, which isn't healthy for the 802.

I had the 002 pegged at 125% while the boiler, water heater, mattress heater, and lights were on. It dropped to 58hz, but wasn't struggling. I even turned it back up to 60hz. I was really pleased there was no smoke or real notable change in engine tone.

But if my well pump kicked in, I'm sure it would have choked or tripped a breaker.

I currently have a brand new Onan 35kw not wired in, but I'm waffling on keeping it or selling it and sticking with an indoor mep.

I think at this point, I'm willing to trade my 802 for a nice condition 003. The noise is annoying, but if I settle on that, I'll take practical steps to reduce it.

So I do really like the 802, I just don't see it being well suited to my needs for winter loads. It's a really nice generator that I'd rather be using, too. My property is insanely quiet on these nice snowy nights.

You can make a shed for your MEP-002A or MEP-003A which will greatly reduce the amount of noise you'll hear. I built one for mine about 100ft away from the house (ran the wires underground in conduit) and I can set in the front room and hear almost nothing ! The bedrooms are on the backside of the house and you don't hear anything !

Isaac-1

One thing to be aware of, to the ear the MEP-002a and MEP-003a sound just about the same as far as overall loudness goes, but the MEP-003a sounds smoother. I have compared mine running one after the other side by side and walked about the same distance away from them until the sound was at a level I thought was quiet enough to sleep and the distance was similar for each.

Glockfan

Have you considered getting an 803? I'm total electric and have ran my oven, clothes dryer, and heat pump at the same time. This is in addition to the normal loads in the house. I don't care what anyone says about them being underpowered. I'll call BS on that. My unit powers everything I want. I have not tested the emergency strip heat yet but plan to do that soon. I'll provide an update on the board when I do.

Ratch

Have you considered getting an 803? I'm total electric and have ran my oven, clothes dryer, and heat pump at the same time. This is in addition to the normal loads in the house. I don't care what anyone says about them being underpowered. I'll call BS on that. My unit powers everything I want. I have not tested the emergency strip heat yet but plan to do that soon. I'll provide an update on the board when I do.

I'd like to, but an 003 is a heckuva lot cheaper, probably about the same price as an 802 right now. I've also not seen many for sale except the very few GL auctions that get swamped.
I've never tried an 803, so I can't tell you if it's over/under powered. I can tell you the 802 I have is adequately powered. It's a 5kw unit that reliably provides 5kw. I'd assume the 803 is the same, but don't know, the added two cylinders may give it more headroom for overload.

I really need a 15kw for running all my loads at once (dishwasher/boiler/well pump/water heater/ups's/stove/oven). The 003 has a track record of handling overload. If the 803 does, then I'd rather have one, but for what they cost, I can buy a new 10kw civilian/commercial unit. Heck, my brand spanking new 35kw Onan standby with a Cummins will only fetch about $7000 lightly used.

dangier

Ratch,
I sat on the fence like you for some time. I did not have the benefit of having a 8xx series. Only had the comments here. Just had a 002 and 003 for comparison. Have oil furnace and everything else electric, including well (wood stove heats the house). Hooked up the 002 and with load management it handled the house ok. Could not run oven, water heater, and dryer the same time (just two of the three). I was looking for something the wife can start and forget the load management. Switched to the 003 and that was the ticket. Everything can run if needed and the 003 does well. Hooked to the house 275 oil tank and let it go. More noise for the neighbor, but I sold him a 002 and he is happy if I diagnose the breakdowns on his. No breakdowns in almost a year and half with 40 hours run time. YMMV
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks