• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Structure of M1009 Fiberglass top - Adding a Roof Rack

forest522

I've been considering installing a false rain gutter kit from Thule. Then I can use the roof rack I already have on the hard top.

Question is...isn't there hollow space between two layers on the upper side part of the hard top? From the inside, it looks like it's pretty "thick." I'm pretty sure it is a hollow area in between the inner and outer layers.

Theoretically, the upper side part of the top would be a little stronger with weight from above, just like real rain gutters can bear about 150 lbs. Not a lot of weight but certainly enough for spare tire, jack, a couple of duffle bags of clothes or camp gear. Plus with spreading the overall width of the rack to the outer edge of the top, you get a little more space on top for a Safari rack, etc. Still being weight conscious of course...

Anyone have any experience with that area?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there is a little space between the sheet metal on the cab roof.

Why would you use a false gutter kit when you have a real gutter already?

forest522

Mainsail, thanks for the reply. I am referring to the fiberglass hard top part. I may put one of the Thule bars/towers up front but will more likely put the pair over the rear hard top. With the option of over the cab and the hard top, that gives me much more distance to load up a kayak, canoe, a longer safari rack, a ladder, better control over full sheets of plywood, etc.

Thanks!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mainsail, thanks for the reply. I am referring to the fiberglass hard top part. I may put one of the Thule bars/towers up front but will more likely put the pair over the rear hard top. With the option of over the cab and the hard top, that gives me much more distance to load up a kayak, canoe, a longer safari rack, a ladder, better control over full sheets of plywood, etc.

Thanks!
Oh! Sorry, I thought you were putting it over the cab. I installed a rack on my hard-top that I got from ProLine Racks.

The 58" length is perfect for the cap. There are three thru-bolts at each end which line up great with the three steps on the inside of the cap. Look inside at the top of your cap to see what I mean- it seems to step from a single layer of fiberglass, to two, then three. One bolt goes through only one layer, the middle goes through two, and the end bolt goes through (what looks like) three.

BUT, it sounds like you want to be able to take the cross-bars off another of your cars to use.

Last edited:

forest522

Hmm, good point. I like that set up too. Well, I already own the darn Thule racks so, the re-user in me wants to keep on using them. I do like the stock look of the rack you have on the link though.

So if you went through two and three "layers" in the top, was there a risk of cracking the layers together, like smooshing a sandwich when tightening the bolts?

A fiberglass sandwich...bad example but you get the point. I may be overly cautious here, I just want to avoid a catastrophic stupid move on my part when drilling thought that upper side part of the hard top.

Thanks!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, good point. I like that set up too. Well, I already own the darn Thule racks so, the re-user in me wants to keep on using them. I do like the stock look of the rack you have on the link though.

So if you went through two and three "layers" in the top, was there a risk of cracking the layers together, like smooshing a sandwich when tightening the bolts?

A fiberglass sandwich...bad example but you get the point. I may be overly cautious here, I just want to avoid a catastrophic stupid move on my part when drilling thought that upper side part of the hard top.

Thanks!
I haven't noticed any cracking, but then I also know a little about torques and such, so I didn't smoke them down so hard the fiberglass would break either.

jhyatt7

its a cheapy from walmart, but I bought some square tubing and expanded it and strengthened it up. I bolted through the thickest part of the fiberglass on the topper. So far so good. Its been up there for awhile.

forest522

I did, and there was a great pic in there of the bolts going straight down from the top of roof. There is a plate giving more support to the bolts in the picture I am referring to. Great idea. I am looking to place the Thule brand mounts on the upper side of the fiberglass top a couple of inches above the windows with a plate there as well to increase the strength.

Why on the upper side of the fiberglass top you ask? The racks I have are long enough to do it, and I'd like as much space as possible. I plan on a enclosed carrier, a cargo basket with the spare tire and maybe a single bike rack. That will be up to the 150lb area, that is about plenty.

Thanks for the reference, I did look through that thread and several others. Just couldn't find one where someone drilled into the upper side part. There must be some open space in there...so I am just a little concerned about the strength of the mounting plate location.

Maybe up on top just in from the edge is the best place to go...?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks