• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stubborn Steering Arm

maxim

Any one have a suggestion for removing a stubborn steering arm. The one that goes from the steering box. I have soaked in Blaster, used the largest blade screwdriver with a wrench on it. I have not hit it with air yet or put heat to it. I know there is a spring inside the arm so I hesitate to use too much heat. Of course the cotter pin has been removed and I have tried tightening or loosening. Maybe give a couple of blasts with the air hammer on the end? The threads are fine and I do not want to bugger up the threads or the slotted plug. There is a bit of play in the arm at the ball joint and it needs to be cleaned and adjusted. I have taken them off before but this one is testing me.

jatonka

If you can find a drag link socket it will help greatly. The largest one Napa sells is a little small for the job, I found one made by Walden Tools and it is just right. I have had to use heat a couple of times but it would be good if you don't have to. If you do, heat it good and hot and quench it with cold water in large quantity quickly. It will help you get the plug loose and keep the hardness in the socket. Remember, this is a main link in your steering system, I'm sure you understand or you wouldn't be trying to adjust it. I just removed an Air-o-matic power assist steering kit and I had to heat one end of the drag link. We got it. John Tennis

dabtl

Try Northern Tool or Harbor Freight for a quick buy on the drag link socket.

I ordered one from Snap On that was huge and fit perfectly.

maxim

I have removed the link and cleaned and re-assembled. I heated it as much as I dared, but could not get it out. I took the truck to a local tractor repair shop down the road. He suggested to heat the very end of the link , not the plug, slightly red and then quench the plug. He had this home made slotted driver made from a 3/4 socket to rattle the plug out with a air gun. The device was crude but worked. I heated the link and quenched the plug with some ice, (plenty around here yet) and the plug came out. The hole in the inboard plug was closed with rust and hard grease so the outboard plug was not getting lube. It tightened up nicely.

Attachments

MrM4

I find myself having the same troubles as may others I am working on installing a lift kit and need to remove it so a new steering arm can be installed. If I undertand this right the plug IS threaded and will need a tool to fit in the slot in order to screw the plug out and remove the drag linkage from the steering arm?

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks