• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck Budd Nut

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled off the front tandems, all went well until I pulled off the last inner wheel. Seems the outter lug nut is jammed tight on the Budd stud...

Any ideas, other than a gas axe? I have about a 1/4" of play. PB Blaster used, pipe wrenches too...

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If not, you could put a pipe wrench on the thimble's lip that is on the outside of the rim and chain it to the rim. Then pry the heck out of the hex nut. You will probably have to replace one or both anyway.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess the Gas Axe it IS!!! Still gonna try Bryans whatchamacallit though...

Thanks WM!

I got spare lugs and nuts, just gotta get this one off. Ran out of gas so I gotta lug the tire into the back of my PU to take it to the shop.....can anyone spell hernia???

Thanks Guys!!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So how exactly did you end up with one tire/rim with a budd nut and lug nut on there? Usually two rims are captured like that.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a little wrench type tool that is made for that problem - made by Ken Tool & others. I have one, up in the new shop. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. The problem is not new. Its a real problem when you have several, all on the same wheel. It consists of a 1&1/2" hex ring with a short tail on it, that has a dog leg in it. Drop it over the outside nut and screw the other out of it. Or, when you become aware the inside is turning, you drop it on the outside lug, to keep it from turning, while you go back and tighten the inside.

If your going to have these trucks, you need a big hand full of extra NEW lug nuts. The books will say Don't, but many Owner/Operator types will use oil or antisieze compounds on the threads. Always clean them first with a wire brush. My rule is that if I can't screw on the nuts, easy, by hand, change them out. Nuts are cheap. As above, a time consuming problem/PITA. Also, not all truck & tire shops, know what they are doing. That is scary when they have one of those big air wrenches! Good policy, in self defense, is to learn to do your own wheel & tire work

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are worth about $500, when you don't have one. It happens, Usually, because the outer nut is stuck on the inner (inner is loose on stud/not tight enough), and when you start to undo the outer, it further loosens the inner.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another vote for the geared lug wrench. Most times it works wonders. After that, a 1" impact should knock it off. If neither of them do the trick, THEN the hot wrench.

wehring

X2 porkchop

X2 on the porkchop. We have used them for years with the family trucking co. Everyone running duals should carry one of these in their tool bags. Cheap and easy to use.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use a torch to cut it off, make darn sure you remove the valve stem before you apply heat!

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely dismount the tire first. I used a grinder for the same problem. Just takes a little longer than the blue wrench. If you use the geared lug wrench, it might help to put the wheel back on the hub.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks