• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck drain plug on transfercase

seano11

Hey I was wondering what size square end ratchet fits in this drain plug its bigger then a 1/2 but I think smaller then a 3/4 i anyone have any idea what size it would be and where I could get one as all the tool stores are kinda clueless

jasonjc

The BII tool list should have a piece of stock listed that fits it to be used with the 12 inch adjustable wrench, but I believe it is 1/2 or 3/4 .
The TM say 1/2". It seems to me that 9/16" has been talked about on here. I think snap-on and some other make square sockets for drain plugs. They may fit better than a wrench.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
9/16, square, this is straight from the tape, 1/2 will strip and spin in the plug, ask me how I know this, I made a plug tool, fits tight, a big crescent gets it.

feldmarshal

Yes there is a socket rack of several square head sockets , mine are from matco tools. Another option is to get a large allen rench and use a dial indicator and grind it down to size. Use a cheater pipe on the long end to break it loose. Put a little PB Blaster on it and let soak, Good luck.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worst case, get a section of 1" bar stock and start grinding it down on one end until it fits snug.
Exactly what he ^^ said.

You can just grind down a larger tool to fit. Smack the plug a sharp blow with a hammer before you start, to get it's attention, and spin it right out.

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have encountered similar issues with smaller trucks in my shop. Ensure the hole is clean to the bottom then get a torx bit larger than the stripped hole. Grind the bit flat on the end and drive it firmly into the plug. Many times this works. When that fails get a socket extension closest to the right size, grind the end flat, ensuring you can get it all the way to the bottom and weld the extension in the plug. Breaker bar and appropriate leverage enhancement. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks