• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck loader? M35 to the rescue!

tjcouch

I have a JD 332 skid steer loader - the biggest one Deere makes. With the grapple rake it weighs in at 10,000 lbs.

3 things will get it stuck: loose sand, logs/stumps, or an incline.

If any two of those obstacles present themselves I can almost always push myself backwards with the hydraulics until I get it rolling again.

But not all 3 at the same time! LOL

In the pictures you will see all 3 challenges, and in the distant background my knight in dull green armor.

If you look carefully in the picture of the "grass" you will see that one of the front tires slipped about an 1/8th of a turn as I idled backwards in low.

It took more time for me to type this than it did to pluck the loader out.

Man, I love these trucks!

Attachments

tjcouch

Time for tracks :beer:
No doubt! I have thought about it, but 90% of the time I use it on asphalt (hence the bald tires.)

I have a Cat Multi Terrain loader that is tracked - but of course it is 700 miles away in NC right now. That thing will go anywhere!

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I think tracks work better on asphalt and dirt. We have moved to all T190 and have not looked back. Before we send a bobcat to the job site every says "it better not be the wheeled one".

tjcouch

I started out the easy way first - with doubled-up 20K straps. That did the trick.

I always try a tug first if my truck is on solid ground.

I don't like using the winch w/o a flagger - I only had one helper, so I placed him in the loader to idle forward as I idled backwards.

paulfarber

I would think that reverse gives you such a low gear ratio that the torque available is much more 'useable' than slipping a clutch in first.

Also, a strap around the front frame horn seems like its much stronger than a pintal hitch. Seeing that the pintal is in the middle of a somewhat unsupported lateral beam.

Biggest mistake people make when using a non-winch deuce (or CCKW) is that they don't use a spreader and the front frame horns are pinched together, or the lifting hooks snap as the are much weaker when subjected to side/lateral forces.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think what Armytruck was referring to......in the event of strap/chain failure, it is safer to let it smack the bed, instead of taking a chance that it might fly through the windshield while pulling in reverse.

KsM715

Disreguard my comment on the reverse pulling with rockwells. I know you can pull the chunk out and spin it 180 and drop it in. So it may not be as big of a concern as it would be in a reg. ring and pinion set up. (I need to do more research before I go talking out of my a** :oops:)

Last edited:

armytruck63

I think what Armytruck was referring to......in the event of strap/chain failure, it is safer to let it smack the bed, instead of taking a chance that it might fly through the windshield while pulling in reverse.
I was referring to flying chains, straps and cables. But, isn't first gear in the transmission stronger than reverse? I've always thought so, but I'm not a transmission expert.

paulfarber

I can only speak for GPW and CCKWs but reverse typically goes through a shafted gear (not synchro'd) to get it to reverse (even number of gears reverses the rotation of a shaft).

As for chains/straps breaking what about the guy in the bobcat? A driver is about 8 feet in back and 6 feet above the bumper. The guy in the bobcat is in the line of fire.

In the Navy we had line handling safety classes and they showed films of 2-4in rope snapping, as well a steel trap cables on an aircraft carrier. With wire/nylon/cotton rope there were signs of impending parting.. smoke, popping noises etc. A chain link can let go and thats that.

rango

hey tj, what about that crane that got away...........lol i remember that one

and just cuz i know they exist of that incident

nopics

:)

sidenote: im sitting in labor and delivery with my fiance who is in labor with our first child :)

tjcouch

hey tj, what about that crane that got away...........lol i remember that one

and just cuz i know they exist of that incident

nopics

:)

sidenote: im sitting in labor and delivery with my fiance who is in labor with our first child :)
Oh yes. That was a challenge. It took a logging skidder with probably a 60K winch, a D5 and a Cat 330 excavator to get the Komatsu out.

For the record I was not the operator or owner . . . . just the lien holder on the machine. Insurance is a wonderful thing - made us whole and there was still some money left over for the owner and the extraction team.

To this day I really don't understand what the operator was thinking.

And as for your side note: I'll be thinking good thoughts for you both!

R Racing

Now thats a stuck machine !! LOL Had a much smaller JD 950 get stuck over the hood and had a deep freeze come thru that night and froze it into the ground . what a mess that was lol.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I am dumbfounded that anyone would avoid using the pintle for pulling/snatching with a deuce due to concerns over it breaking. It is by far the strongest attachment point on a stock truck.
Having said that I have / will use the front lift rings on a lot of stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks