• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck oil drain plug?

randini

I drained the oil last weekend, and installed Spin-on filters (thanks Jatonka!). I could not remove the rear Oil plug. I used a cheater bar on the ratchet, and ended up rounding the corners on the drain plug. I ended up removing it with a huge pipe wrench. I cleaned it up with a file, and it seems ok. I bet someone ran the drain plug on with a air gun. Anyone run into this before (where you could not remove drain)? I also put a fiber washer on. The drain did not come with a washer?
Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As simple as looking at the -20P TM, it shows a "spacer"

AN901-10C

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got those TMs downloaded yet? :p

randini

I did install a washer. I was just surprised that there was NOT one when I removed the drain plug. It also didn't really leak before (without a washer). Overall I was just surprised at what I found. It all fixed now. Thanks for your help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a quick refresher lesson on the TMs.

TM 9-2320-209-10 (for example). 9( not sure) 2320(wheeled vehicle), 209 (series/type of vehicle,TM), -10(level of information)

ends in -10, basic operators manual

ends in -20, basic maintenance and repairs

ends in -34, Depot(technical) level repairs

20P, exploded parts diagrams, and part numbers.

-34P same thing

I save the TMs as PDFs and I view the files in a folder with medium or large icons, so I can see the book cover. It makes it easy to recognize.

Your very welcome too!

Last edited:

armytruck63

Oh yes, I ran into this before. The first time I changed the oil in my deuce the drain plug was as tight as you described.

I got the plug off, but four months later I was having hernia surgery.

Last edited:

KsM715

I just want to say how impressed I am with your Knowledge. I do have all the TM's down loaded. But it sometimes takes me a long time to find the answer. Thanks for taking the time to help us new people!
Randy

Some people on this site (cough, DH, cough,cough) use the TM's for bedtime reading.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
clintogf has a truck that had one of the drain plugs in so tight I had to put a 1/2" impact on it. I can't believe it didn't break something. It had no sealing washer on it and we got it straight from the service.

Some people on this site (cough, DH, cough,cough) use the TM's for bedtime reading.
Remember the sage advice of our sadly departed but not forgotten friend acetomatoco:

"You kiddies need to be reading your TM's in bed every night (paraphrased)"

Man I miss ace.

Prankster

Whenever possible, I switch out the old drain plug for a brass pipe plug.
And, I always wrap Teflon tape around the threads before I reinstall the plug.

If a part is really stuck, I whack it with a hammer to loosen the rust, and I use a propane torch to apply a little heat.
However, ditto in the impact!!!

Heavysteven

What size socket is the drain plug?

I have the same problem normally my large adjustable wrench works. Not this time going to have to through down some coin and get a closed end wrench.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks