• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck on the side of the road! Blew a ton of oil out, not sure where from

seanwmurph

Please help me out! Just 40 minutes of driving on the freeway (it's about 95deg out) and when I stopped for fuel I noticed a lot of oil on the frame and leaf springs of the truck (1994 M1081, CAT 3116). Dipstick reads extremely low, below cold fill. I did find a loose bolt on the front of the block that seems suspect. There's no oil at the usual line of death (haven't yet replaced that).

Oil pressure has been reading hi, around 60-70 psi. I haven't checked with a mechanical gauge but I ignored it since that's inside normal range.

And ideas? I'm in a safe spot thankfully, hoping I can fix it in place and drive home. Oh, and my cab tilt hydraulics decided to quit on me

Attachments

seanwmurph

Crack in the timing case? Are the compressor mount and support bracket bolts tight? Are all those timing case cover brackets tight>
I see one bolt miraculously is entirely backed out on the timing case. Hard to see in the photo. It seems like there's too much oil for it to all be from that one... But tightening that, adding oil, and looking underneath is a good plan

seanwmurph

Update:
It appears as though there's no cracks or blown lines, just the compressor mount bolts loosened while driving, allowing oil to flow out fast enough to be scary looking, but probably lost less than a gallon. Percentage wise, that's not so bad! I'm definitely feeling lucky I found it before it got worse. I tightened and checked all the timing case bolts, and there were two loose ones at the compressor.

Sorry for taking so long to update, thank you all!! I was in San Miguel, CA for reference

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Update:
It appears as though there's no cracks or blown lines, just the compressor mount bolts loosened while driving, allowing oil to flow out fast enough to be scary looking, but probably lost less than a gallon. Percentage wise, that's not so bad! I'm definitely feeling lucky I found it before it got worse. I tightened and checked all the timing case bolts, and there were two loose ones at the compressor.

Sorry for taking so long to update, thank you all!! I was in San Miguel, CA for reference
As odd as it sounds, all the rattle-shake action that happens on diesel trucks kill more parts than actual wear and tear. When you have time, pull out your books and a torque wrench. Tighten everything in sight TO SPEC and you will have a much happier truck. Chances are you will be a happier driver too!

Glad to hear that you are up and running again!

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing I was told when I got mine and had read all over here, All that loose hardware could possibly mean a lot of vibration coming off the driveline. If not done, might want to inspect all the drive shafts for wear in the yokes and slip joints and check for phase alignment on each end of the shafts.

seanwmurph

Thanks for the tips. Yeah usually I'm a torque wrench only guy, exceptions include being on the roadside...

There sure is more vibration than I was expecting, I think a fair amount of that is the cab shocks being adjusted too high and the front tie rod needs an aligned. The front two tires are Michelin XML's, in process of changing to Goodyear MVT's for hopefully better on road sound and performance.

To date all the inspection of the driveshafts I've done is grabbing them and trying to wiggle them. Everything seems very tight, and i did fill them all with fresh grease, but there could easily still be a phasing issue or excessive lash. I'll look into it more and report back if that ends up being part of the issue.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the tips. Yeah usually I'm a torque wrench only guy, exceptions include being on the roadside...

There sure is more vibration than I was expecting, I think a fair amount of that is the cab shocks being adjusted too high and the front tie rod needs an aligned. The front two tires are Michelin XML's, in process of changing to Goodyear MVT's for hopefully better on road sound and performance.

To date all the inspection of the driveshafts I've done is grabbing them and trying to wiggle them. Everything seems very tight, and i did fill them all with fresh grease, but there could easily still be a phasing issue or excessive lash. I'll look into it more and report back if that ends up being part of the issue.
You might also look out front down and somewhat behind the bumper. There are two inch thick rubber "biscuits" that are Cab Support Bushings. When I changed those out my entire truck rode almost like a new vehicle. The airbags were apparently fighting for position or something like that...

Had nothing to do with leaks or oil dribbles - but it would sure beat you half to death before that fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks