• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck/Rusted Glow Plugs

dangier

After recently acquiring a 003a with two rusted off/stuck glow plugs I was wondering how I was going to get them out. Wasn't looking forward to drilling in the head. Tried heating and spraying with PBlaster. with no results. Was reading on The Stack about one poster having good luck removing stuck studs with heating and candle wax. Did a couple of searches here and found nothing about using candle wax. Thought I would try. I had about 1/4" or less of the glow plug sticking out of the head. Filed two flats on each, attached vice grips as tight as I could squeeze and started heating/applying (melting) candle wax and repeating. After about 20 minutes, there was some movement and eventually the rusted piece came out with only needing a tap to clean the threads.
Worked for me.
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks