• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck starter info needed on M936 STARTING ISSUE

goldneagle

I have been having problems starting my wrecker. We managed to start it up at Jeff's place and get it home. When I tried to move it today it would not crank. I thought it was the battery switch because the gauges would not come on. I decided to try a different black box that I had as a spare. It seamed to be the issue. With the replacement black box the instruments panel powered up. I was able to run the starter to try and start the engine.

I think there is a fuel line problem since it was not starting. I tried several tiles and she would not start. She was cranking. When the batteries were low she barley turned then stopped. I use a slave cable to connect to my M1008. Even with the jumper cable it would not crank. So I decided to put in better batteries. Had them hooked up and still no crank. I could hear the relay clicking when I used the start switch. No crank.

With the switches on i tried to use a screw driver to jump between the small screw near the engine and the large screw with the Positive cable from the battery at the solenoid. Just a little spark but no crank.

That was as far as I got. Any help would be appreciated.

R Racing

If you have good battery juice and it won't turn over could have a dead spot on the armature. Another thing to look at is your batteries. When I was picking up my m920. We jumped off of 3 running trucks at the same time. It wouldn't begin to turn over. Found later 3 of my batteries had shorts in them and was killing the voltage we were pumping in. Put 4 fresh batteries in and bingo it's been going ever since !!

goldneagle

If you have good battery juice and it won't turn over could have a dead spot on the armature. Another thing to look at is your batteries. When I was picking up my m920. We jumped off of 3 running trucks at the same time. It wouldn't begin to turn over. Found later 3 of my batteries had shorts in them and was killing the voltage we were pumping in. Put 4 fresh batteries in and bingo it's been going ever since !!
Batteries were replaced today. So not the batteries.

74M35A2

Next check that the engine is free to spin with a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut. Doing so will confirm the engine will roll over, and it may release the pinion if it is wedged somehow. Cranking on very weak batteries can toast a starter. Measure your voltage at the starter B+ terminal when attempting to crank. Voltage should not drop below 20V if batteries are healthy. Specific gravity of battery acid is 1.26 for a fully charged battery.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

If it spins and won't fire it is a fuel issue. The fuel shutoff solenoid is notorious for de-energizing. You may also have to crack the bleeder on the back of the pump (7/16th wrench) to get it to fire. Crack the bleeder, pump the primer till you hear a "squishy squishy" sound. Have soldier B crank the engine. If it fires off shut the bleeder. I have a wrecker that has to be bled every time I start it if it sits more than one day.

Csm Davis

:tigger:

If it spins and won't fire it is a fuel issue. The fuel shutoff solenoid is notorious for de-energizing. You may also have to crack the bleeder on the back of the pump (7/16th wrench) to get it to fire. Crack the bleeder, pump the primer till you hear a "squishy squishy" sound. Have soldier B crank the engine. If it fires off shut the bleeder. I have a wrecker that has to be bled every time I start it if it sits more than one day.
It's a 936 A0 with 1400s on it so it has a 250 cummins, your a little stuck on 8.3 aren't you wrecker?

goldneagle

If it turned over til you wore the batteries down you got a fuel issue as well. Either fuel solinoid or bad fuel lines and sucking air.
I had multiple issues with my M820. Got them resolved. Have to go through the elimination process and pinpoint the problems with the truck.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zev,

Looks like the starter is prestolite leece-neville model M0017260MD for nsn 2920-01-069-6997

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/specs.php?pf=true&item_detail_id=16390&item=M0017260MD

Solenoid is a Leece -Neville 71220
NSN 2920-01-087-0997
http://www.southernautomotive.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/172

or

NSN 5945-01-482-7506 Search this number on epay as Southern Automotive sells it on ebay and direct:
http://www.southernautomotive.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/181

This all assumes it is not a delco :)

goldneagle

One on ebay is $100. Will check with local suppliers for better prices. Thank you so much for your help. I also downloaded the repair manual for the starter.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the truck turns over,Turn in the thump screw on the fuel shut down solenoid, then try to start the truck, and just for s&g, make sure your emg. shut down is in the run position at the ip.

goldneagle

If the truck turns over,Turn in the thump screw on the fuel shut down solenoid, then try to start the truck, and just for s&g, make sure your emg. shut down is in the run position at the ip.
Thanks for the info. I just did the same thing with my M820A2 a few months ago. I don't think I will have a problem finding out why the truck is hard to start. The main thing right now is getting the starter fixed or replace so I can actually crank her over.

On a side note. How about we call it a truce and clear the slate? I am always open to good advise from someone that knows these MV so well. Sincerely, GE

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks for the info. I just did the same thing with my M820A2 a few months ago. I don't think I will have a problem finding out why the truck is hard to start. The main thing right now is getting the starter fixed or replace so I can actually crank her over.

On a side note. How about we call it a truce and clear the slate? I am always open to good advise from someone that knows these MV so well. Sincerely, GE
I NEVER had a loaded slate in the first place, I always post if I think I can help.

goldneagle

I pulled the solenoid out this afternoon. The Alternator/Starter place in town closed at 3:00PM (banker's hours) Will try to see him tomorrow. My friend Billy came over later this evening and we tested the solenoid. We put 24 volts to the 2 small terminals to see if it would pull the plunger. It did not. We had to push the plunger more than 3/4 way in before she grabbed it. Sounds tike the coil is weak. Any opinions?