• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck Wastegate?

Pstyckiewicz

I recently have been tinkering with my M1152A1 and noticed that the wastegate doesnt move. I have pulled on the little rod back and forth with a good amount of force and no movement. In addition, I don’t hear the thing whining or spooling, but it’s loud and possible can’t hear it. It doesn’t blow black smoke and appears to run fine. Just want it to be working as it should. Also it didn’t come with a dog house cover so it probably has been sitting in the elements for years.
My questions are:
1. Can the wastegate actuator be frozen/rusted in place? Govplanet purchase from Yermo.
2. Is the waste gate closed or open when not running? (Probably rusted in place from sitting)
3. If the actuator is stuck can I simply take it off and throw some PB blast on it, getting moving and move on? Or buy a new one?
4. If I need a new one what is the part number (searches have lead me to ones with vacuum line pictured)

Thanks in advance for the help. I would be lost without this forum haha

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The waste gate controller is simply a spring, the waste gate opens when there is enough back pressure on the gate to compress the spring so most of the time the gate is closed and is closed when not running so if it is stuck it would likely be in the closed position, the spring is pretty strong.
Did you have the heat shield off when trying to move the rod?
I cannot hear my turbo except for a slight chopping sound when idling and that is with no muffler etc. some others say they can hear their turbos, but I would not to too concerned about not hearing it.
The spring is trying to pull the rod into the waste gate controller so you would need to pull the rod out (towards the driver side) to see if it will move and you will not be able to do that with the heat shield in place.
IF it is stuck it would likely be the waste gate not the controller.
The parts TM available for free to download would have all the part numbers you would need.
If it is running OK and not smoking I would not worry about it.

Pstyckiewicz

I had the heat shield off not to long ago and was seeing if it would move. Now I know what direction it’s supposed to move I can determine if it’s working as it should. Thanks for the great info!!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link to modifying the waste gate controller to make it adjustable, it shows clearly the inner workings of the waste gate controller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks