• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck wheel bearing

natemccabe

OK, I've discovered I have a wasted front outer wheel bearing, I have removed the wheel, brake caliper and locking hub assembly and the hub nuts and spacer per the -20. I have to say though, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. However the outer bearing has eaten the metal ring to keep all the rolles aligned and is now stuck on the axle, spline, not sure what it is called. I believe some of the metal shavings have worked their way in between there and I cannot get the bearing assembly out. I need advise on getting it out as I am all thumbs. Does the whole brake rotor come off at this point or is it bolted on from the real? How do I get the splash guard off the side of the rotor? what i thought was going to be an easy repair has turned into a long and drawn out process. Can I bang on the rotor with a sledge? I know I don't want to warp it, but I'm at the end of my mechanical know how. Any advice is appreciated, or feel free to just point out something stupid that I'm missing.

bronconut

the rotor hub is one piece, to remove the rotor from the hub the wheel studs will need to be knocked out once you get it off the truck. the backing plate is held on by the spindle, if my memories serve me right. to remove after you get hub off remove 6 or 8, cant remember, bolts. pull spindle off then backing plate will fall off.behind the lockout assembely should be one nut , one spacer, then one more nut. if you removed those then the rotor should slide off. if not then your bering is probally seized. grab the rotor and give it a few good jerks otherwise a slide hammer,

CROM

This just happened to me two weeks ago, but it was the inner front bearing that fell apart. If the bearing is holding the rotor on, use the rotor as sort of a hammer to pop the whole assembly off. Your spindle (that's what the bearings sit on) can probably be salvaged, and you shouldn't hurt it too much by yanking the rotor off. If you do, 50 bucks get you a new one. I would replace all four front bearings after this (driver and passenger inner and outer). Be LIBERAL with the grease, too.

natemccabe

thanks guys, the hub rotor assy is sturck on, I believe thet the bearing is seized on there pretty good. I didn't want to break anything so I was hesitant to bang on anything rea hard but now I will go to town on the sucker and hopefuly everything wil wor out in the end :)

rnd-motorsports

Sounds like you will not hurt anymore than already has been done and it has to come off before you can fix it so try not to hurt anything more but get it off then we will see whats needs to be fixed and go on. you got both axle nuts off ? just asking there is two nuts with a lock in between them.

natemccabe

alright, a rummer mallet and a lot of noise for a sunday morning and the hub/rotor assembly is off. Now the inner track is still on there but I feel a puller and some more motivatial persuasion should do the the trick!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you removed the INNER NUT? It is held on with a key that is inserted into the inner nut. To GET TO THAT INNER KEY, you have a snap ring that 'hides' the whole shebang.

Having had to replace the rotors on my M1009 recently with the help of a great friend (THX RANDY), we carefully cleaned out ALL the hub grease. Once all of the grease was cleaned out, it became apparent that the assembly is NOT the same as a standard hub assembly that GM sold to the civi market.

Once you get the flat wide snap ring out of the way, clean the nut of all grease. AT THAT POINT you should see a key with a hole in it. You can use a pick to pull the key out of nut. ONCE THE KEY IS OUT, then the nut will unscrew as normal. UNTIL THEN you will absolutely cause damage to the spindle if you don't do this.

I had the sense to stop. It only cost me a set of brake pads. And that's only about $35.

I should have taken pix. But trust me, the front hub assembly is NOT the same as a standard GM civilian hub. IT just is not.

natemccabe

Alright, with a little motivation, hammer, i was able to get the outer bearing off. Everything went smoothly after that, packed the bearings with a very liberal amount of grease, replaced the seal, and got everything back together, torqued to specs of course. now to do the other side, ugh.