• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuck with no 4WD!

tgtaylor64

Took my M1009 off-road over the weekend. Hubs were locked and I was in 4L. Got stuck and realized my front tires were not turning! Everything was turning except the tires! What gives?

Mohawk Dave

When you say everything was turning, do you mean the front driveshaft was turning as well. If it was and your tires were not, then your diff is blown, the hubs are blown, or the axles are not there????

-Dave

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What specificly was turning ? Was the front driveshaft turning ? were the axelshafts in the front end turning? or was just the rear driveshaft turning ?
If everything in the front end was turning but the tires it sounds like broken lockouts.
but with your description it could be anything , we need details to help.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: without more details we would just be speculating what all was turning the most likely thing to look at if front drive shaft was spinning is lockouts and the aluminum inside parts are the weak links!! to check put in 4 wheel low or high with trans in park and and engine off get under truck and see if you can turn front drive shaft you should not be able to !check the slip for wear may be bad and only sinning half the shaft should make noise if its bad but you never know! if good there jack up one tire at a time spin wheel and look at shaft just behind the wheel will not spin lock the hub on that wheel spin again if its locked the shaft behind the wheel will now spin if checks the do the same to the other side leave the first one locked if after you lock in the second one and the shaft behind the tire still spins the you have a diff problem. let us know what you find! My money will be on a lockout! :driver:

tgtaylor64

The front driveshaft was spinning according to my buddy who had to pull me out. My bet is the lockout. Is this an easy repair? Expensive? Thanks for the help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the rims were spinning on the tires? LOL. Replacement hubs under a "C" Note.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It only takes one hub not locking in to give you no front drive. Put it in 4wd, lock the hubs and then jack up one front side at a time and try to turn the wheel. Make sure it is in park. Does the wheel turn? If it does see if the axle is turning on that side, if it is turning then see if it is turning in the opposite direction on the other side. If it is then the problem is the other hub or outer u-joint. If one side is turning but not the other you have blown the rear, most likely the spider gears.

Another way to check is to put the truck in 2WD, neutral and lock the hubs. Crawl under it and turn the driveshaft by hand, what is turning and what is not? Make sure the truck is not running while you are under it.

Rick

rnd-motorsports

Not real bad to change Allen wrench's snap ring pliers and small screw drive or pick and you can change them when you go to get the hubs the military truck will make no diff. its just a full size blazer in fact blazer,jimmy,or suburban 69 threw 91 and 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC truck 69 threw 87 all use the same lockout hubs per say even some 3/4 ton trucks used the same hub if they had the 44 or 10 bolt front. you should be able to get a set for about 90.00 around here thats what they are! I recommend the mile maker hub myself but any will work. the replacements will most likely be 1/4 or half turn they are just a little stiffer to turn no diff in operation still do the same thing![thumbzup]

rnd-motorsports

Sorry left out Yes really for the most part they are easy to change do not need to remove wheel or even jack the truck up just pull the hub the snap rings can be a pain to get out sometimes there is a big on just inside the hub after you take the outer lockout cap and dial off that sits in a grove in the hub that holds the inner lockout in that can be the pain to get out sometimes then on most there is a outside snap ring on the axle end that sticks threw the inner lockout will have to look they should be there but some get left off then the lockout inners will pull out then just reverse and put back together .

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option is to replace the entire front axle assembly. They are available surplus...and are new from hub to hub including all brake components. I can't remember what I paid, but I know that John Winslow in NC had them. They were new in wooden crates with some surface rust from storage. I would at least check on the availability and cost.

tgtaylor64

Took it in the road and got the wife behind the wheel. Driving forward or reverse in 2H (hubs unlocked): front drive shaft does not move, the front axles do not rotate. If I lock the hubs, the axles rotate opposite. In 4H or 4L (hubs locked), front drive shaft rotates and the axles rotate in sync.
With everything off, I can rotate by hand the front axles by the U-joints with the hubs unlocked. When I lock them, I cannot rotate them by hand. Front drive shaft rotates freely.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like iot is time to pull the differential cover and see what kind of pieces fall out.:mad:

Rick

wikallen

Was your buddy looking at both front tires not spinning, or did he just see one front tire not spinning?

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: sounds like everything is norm and I to wounder if he saw only one not spinning the front is what they call an open front only one wheel will get power and unfortunately will be the one with the least traction! you can take cover off but sounds to like its fine ask your buddy if he only saw one wheel not spinning?

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note his last sentence, "with everything locked driveshaft rotates freely." He had already verified that the hubs were working correctly. That tells me there is no connection between the shaft and the axles. Granted, the way he did the test is not conclusive at all since the wheels are being turned by the road and at equal speed.

rnd-motorsports

Yes you read it a few time 's you have a? He needs to put transfer in 2 wheel, lock the front lockouts and then see if he can spin front shaft by hand. Never really answered that Question!