• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stuff on my truck

Barrman

My m35 has a few things I am not sure I have seen before on other trucks. This is on the passenger side. What is the hollow tube the mirror is bolted to?

When did this style of mirror and bracket stop being used?

Then I have the cab mounted rear facing spot light and hard top. The spot light has a huge base that basically wraps around the rear corner of the cab. It seems way to big for just a light mount. Did something else ever get put in the mount?

Then there is the hard top. It looks real well done, but I don't think it is in anyway stock. It had 70 stainless steel screws holding it on. I pulled it off after I took the picture. The top of the windshield frame had to have the canvas top groove removed for this top to fit by the way.

Once I got the top off, I realized the entire top of my windshield frame is rotted away. I also couldn't get the top bow out of the cab. Is there a secret to it? I can't see or feel any bolts, collars or welds so I have just been spraying penetrating oil into it for a day now.

Thanks!

mangus580

The tube the mirror is bolted to, is the mount for a gun ring. They all have it.

I like the mount for the light!! would like to see some more pics of it...

westfolk

How about that box(bed)? Looks like a dropside to me. Would that make it a 195? M35A2C like my Reo?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The light looks like the one used on Bridge Trucks, pipeline trucks, and maybe bolster trucks. Definately not stock for the M35 - the bed is also an add-on - dropsides did not come out until gas engines were gone. Fuel tank looks like a replacement from a Multifuel as well. The cab top is also non-military.

I've gotta dig a bit on the rear view mirror question.

HTH,
David

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hood hold down hooks are inverted from the way mine are mounted.

houdel

In addition to a MG ring mount, the tube on the passenger side is also used to mount convoy flags. All Deuces (at least all I have seen) have the tube mount on the passenger side. Don't lose any sleep over it!

As best as I can recall, your type of mirror dates from the early 70s and before. I seem to recall driving NA Deuces in the early 70s with that type of mirror. Not sure when the "West Coast" style mirror was adopted, it was after my service time!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you don't want that spotlight mount, pm me a few pics of it, we might be able to strike a deal.

Barrman

Thanks for the info on the passenger mirror mount. I do need two of the mirrors themselves, but since they look exactly the same as my M715 mirrors and I know where some of them are, I will hold of spending any money on them for now.

Both of my trucks have the hood latches inverted like that. I don't know what year the other one is yet. This one is a 1951.

This one came with a spare M35A2C cab in the back. I assume the bed came from the same truck. What difference is there between the mulitfuel bed and the gasser bed? If you look in my first picture, you can see the exhaust pipe sticking out above the rear tires. The pipe has a flanged connection just inside tires. How did the fording stack attach to the bed?

It looks close enough to try, but will the A2C windshield frame bolt right onto my cab?

Any suggestions on how to pull the top bow out of the cab?

Thanks again.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep the other windshield frame will fit they are the same. The top looks like a forrestery service top. I've seen alot of thes tops in east texas on forrestery service trucks. Alot of M715's got the ugly FS tops too.

Barrman

The truck has a company in Mass (The Mitre Corp) name painted on both doors. I figured they are the ones that made and added the top. This truck also has a battery box under the passenger seat with a water heated plate for the batteries to sit on. My other truck has a gas fired water heater still in the box sitting in the cab. I figured the top was made for cold weather.

I know all about the forest service tops Ken. Here is my M715 with the top all painted. I added the hook on top to make pulling it off a lot easier. I put a $49.99 Harbor Freight 120 V winch on the ceiling of my shop and just back the truck in, hook up, unbolt 7 bolts and I have a convertible. This top was held on by 146 rivets that I had to drill out and then weld up the holes on. The M35 only had 70 screws. A lot easier.

Ken, aren't you the one I talked to on the phone a week or so ago from Spring? If so, you have now seen what all I need, don't scrap stuff that will fit please.

Banshee365

Yea that hardtop is definitely repro. Truck needs work but looks like it has alot of character, not many trucks like that left around that are in somewhat good shape.

BTW,anyone know where to pickup some of those screw type clamps that hold the drop sides up? The ones on my bed are rusted and I'd like to find some replacements. I saw a brand new 8 ton or something Oshkosh cargo truck at the airport a few months back and it uses the exact same clamps.

-Kelly

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry barman. That wasen't me on the phone. And yep thats a FS top on your M715 all right. Let me know what you need. I may have some stuff in my pile you can use.

67Beast

As far as the cab bow goes Tim, it is not like a 715 bow. On a deuce, only the center section comes off. When you pull off the window surrounds, the corners of the bows stay with it and only the center bar comes loose.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tim, mine's a 73 and has those mirrors. I do have the hood-lift-handle though. Also Tim, the m35a2c cab came with the drop side bed. That "C" is what indicates drop side.

FreightTrain

Banned
If that is a soft top frame and not welded in place it just pulls straight up.Nothing hold it on except gravity.There is a round hole in the cab corner it fits into.You might have to inch it a little at a time on each side before you get it off.The pole going into the cab corner is about 6-9" long.Also,considering the condition of the windshild frame,you might have to brake out a BFH and give it a little help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks