• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid Insurance Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxter

Im with warwag, I have farmers and had no problems with them at all. I had more trouble at the dmv explaining what it was I was wanting to register.

papercu

I don't know if I would call a insurance agent "retarded" or "Stupid" because they would't sell a policy.
Most would tell you anything to get you to buy and then tell you tough luck if you ever needed them.
and says Allstate guy tells him they don't insure ANY military vehicles
I think I would be glad they told me upfront. Wayne

Motorcar

Have Travelers for all else, auto home, multiple vehicles etc. When I called them to add the Deuce they got the underwriter on the horn and both Googled M35A2....got a huge "Nope, will not insure that thing" so a buddy tells me to call Gulfway. They say no problem we insure those all the time glad to help. Pay the money and my policy comes in the mail...wait for it.....underwritten by Travelers. rofl

paulfarber

I have to add that the folks that are going with GulfWay, Hagerty, etc they are COLLECTORS or ANTIQUE policies. That means some severe restrictions. Even if you only drive it once or twice a month that still means NO CARGO, people or otherwise.

I have State Farm, and pay less that $200 a year(!).

I agree that the insurance 'Agent' is a monkey at the keyboard working on commission. I have left some good companies becuase the local agent was an idiot. They hire anyone with computer experience and call them agents. Local insurance babe screwed up my change of address TWICE. TWICE. Yet they are responsible for setting up policies correctly?!?!?!

Last edited:

otisroy

State farm, as stated above, commercial policy for non commercial use. All the other "plans" had restrictions. As in can only drive like once a week or sumthing.

Anyway $27 a month and I can drive it as I desire[thumbzup]
Ditto. About the same price here in NM. I've even had a claim. It was painless and I wasn't dropped.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if I would call a insurance agent "retarded" or "Stupid" because they would't sell a policy.
Most would tell you anything to get you to buy and then tell you tough luck if you ever needed them.

Quote: and says Allstate guy tells him they don't insure ANY military vehicles

I think I would be glad they told me upfront.

All state did however insure my 'substantial' personal electronics laboratory and ham radio equipment and parts and supplies, the 30x40 outbuilding, ham tower, and 40K genset. Most ins. companies would not touch 6 figures on that stuff with a 10 FT pole. They did it by adding the goods to 'personal property' and stating that it was covered. The outbuildings and the rest are insured as separate structures. But they say no for MVs. irrationally scared of them I guess.

Last edited:

landfillman

A few years ago when I was 24 no one would insure my and my dump truck for a resonable amount till I was 25. I was told by a trucker that I couldbemy own Insurance carrier. It worked like a charm I was kinda my own agent.

srodocker

I just had a similar dealing with american family. as I kept telling him i have my car and a kaiser jeep with 3 axles. and ex military cargo truck. "Yea yea yea we do those I got you covered" thinking he had no idea what it was. i drove it to do some paperwork signing and hes like yea lets sign papers then go take a look. i said no lets check it out first. welp "dude thats sweet but i have no idea if we can insure that" after a week of calling him and getting " they haven't came back to me yet" i called up state farm and renewed my policy....

waayfast

Most would tell you anything to get you to buy and then tell you tough luck if you ever needed them. I think I would be glad they told me upfront. Wayne
Thats just what I found out--my agent just NOW tells me Allstate won't carry MV's---after taking my money for the "policy" on the M35 since 2008:x.

I (and others I know locally) have had trouble with this local Allstate agent and this is this straw that broke the Camel's back for me.

I have a quote coming from Farmers and will be calling Geico (looks like I shoulda switched last fall:x) and also will give State Farm a chance as the GF has her insurance with them.

Jim

Shoprat 19th Engr

Yes Geico will insure only if you have a locked Shop the you can put the truck in and they do want a picture of the shop with the truck in it with the door open and closed .If you are a Vet you can go to USAA and get an under written insurence policy through Progressive for 483.00 a year and you don't need a shop

panshark

Looked at my policy again and it doesn't say anything about parade duty, perhaps Texas policies are different, IDK.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Many companies differ what they will cover from state to state, as well as vary in premiums, even down to which zip code you live in. I can't imagine that Allstate will say no to waayfast and yes to me, so it looks like I might need to do some investigating as well.

Here's food for thought: if you buy a 15 passenger van on GL, have you just bought a military vehicle that may or may not be covered? How about a minivan or pickup truck from GSA? Also, is it possible for "non-military" items to wind their way through DRMO and end up on GL? Assuming that an insurance claims adjuster isn't going to get sweet on CARNAC, how would an adjuster "know" that a duece is a military vehicle, and not a volunteer fire department vehicle? (The color, I know...)

Rustygears

I had even bigger issues with USAA and I'd be kind by saying they're retarded. They quoted me a policy before I bought my A3 and then a week later when I took delivery they said they didn't insure mv's. After much heated discussion, they tried to broker me with a policy from progressive which was a commercial policy, astronomically expensive and would not let me travel more than 150 miles from my home. Based on really positive recommendations from this site, I got a policy through Gulfway who specializes in collectable trucks. That policy was full coverage without mileage limitations and the only restriction is no commercial use. It cost me under $400 for a year and the policy is issued by Travellers insurance co, a very highly rated firm. It was so painless.

Thanks to this site and the great participants, my crisis, similar to the OP, was solved. Hopefully they will find these replies similarly useful for his situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks