• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stupid newb question sorry

n2ojunkie

Ok just won my first m109 and was wondering about singling it out. Would the stock tires work? I've seen m35's do it but didnt know if the extra weight of the 109 box would be too much. I know I should do it right and go with 11-20's or 395's but just cant do it right now. I could just leave it alone but I just cant leave anything alone for long lol:twisted:

wsucougarx

Yah you know those 109's are nothing but trouble. You ought to just ship it out to me so I can have trouble trying to figure out what to do with her:wink:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes you can, but it looks "bird legged" from the rear. Wait till you can get better meats. You should spend that time going through the brakes and checking the bearings.

unclemikey

Your going to have lots and lots to do as is. Go over the unit and get it ready. The tires can come a little bit later, by then you will know what you will really want on the truck. Believe me, your mind will only change about a few hundred times. Best of luck ! ...............You just got to love them 109s!

n2ojunkie

Well I have everything to converit into a camper and was wondering about mounting the water and waste tanks outside of the frame, I was going to inclose them, but was thinking of using the extra room between the tires and frame. I know I'll have alot to do first but I'm hoping to have most of it done before november, and not knowing when I'm going to pick it up doesnt help. It wont be my first project but if I could it would help with the tanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
900x20s singled out would be a little tippy. I'd hold off on singling it until you get some 1100X20 or bigger. I'm sure there was a reason the Gov't singled very few shopvans.

m109guy

Everyone knows that all the cool guys have M109's. And the coolest of the guys with M109's are the ones that put super singles on them ;)

Going to singles is pretty easy and is worth the effort.

Though I would wait until you actually get the truck before deciding what you want to do with it. What might look good in your head could be a completely different story when you actually get a hold of the truck.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Welcome to the 109 club.

I agree whole heartedly with Kenny (Recovery4x4) about tires and with gimpyrob about the brakes. I can tell you first hand that loosing brakes in a 109 in traffic will give someone religion.

One thing about the original tires is they are TERRIBLE on very slick roads, ice or rain. Tires like M109guy has are a lot better.

Good truckin' and keep the shinny side up.

What do you mean "No shinny side?"

Arlyn

n2ojunkie

Thanks again for the advice, I'll listen as you guys have been there done that and know best, I would hope anyways, lol.

m109guy I read your conversion page and will be using alot of the things you did on mine. I just want to put the tanks under the truck for more floor space when its not being used as a camper. I also want to try and hang the beds from the wall and have them fold up when not in use. Like I said lots of ideas and havent even picked it up yet.:wink:

m109guy

Oh ya, you can come up with millions of ideas for the truck. But I found it really came into focus when I actually got the truck home and sat there looking at it. Lots of time was spent with a tape measure and taking detailed notes. That way when I either went on the internet, or to a store, I knew what could and couldn't fit. There is a good amount of room in the back of the truck, but you will never be able to fit everything that you could ever need. My main objective was keeping it stock on the outside while making it as comfortable on the inside as possible.

Throw out any ideas that you have. Sometimes getting another perspective is good as someone could see something you didn't, or suggest another method of doing things.

Numbers

My 2 cents: You can do whatever you want to these things. Singling them out like M109guy has (check his link in his signature line for M109RV) or like the Tom did on Alfaheaven (He did this to a regular deuce). Tom's vehicle (#69) is unique that his singles are larger than most (for a 6x6) stock appearing deuces. However, Tom has lengthened his torque arms and a host of other things as well. Gets kinda pricey but it is one sweet looking ride that appears stock on first glance. Probably will not get those "chicken legs" if use the same idea Tom had. In the end, the nicest 109 I have seen is M109guy's vehicle and his come with those canadian deuce rims that look really sweet also, not too mention the sweet camper interior he has also. Sorry I meant 5 cents....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks