• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid Newbie Question Re: Air Compressor Belt Change

abh3

I've got my replacement engine/trans almost ready to go in but thought I'd change the air compressor belt... Look like the same basic tensioning design as older Cat dozers I've been all over but I can't get the threaded pully to budge, even with the bolts out. What can't I see? I don't want to break out the big cheater pipe only to discover I've missed something! I tried the old engine's pulley and it won't move either, it has to be me... I've Kroiled the threads through the 'take up grooves' in hopes that would seep through and break any corrosion but it's too solid to think that a little rust is the problem...

Any input/advice so I can chuck an engine/trans in sometime tommorow and have brakes too?

Thanks for your time.

abh3

OK, I can make something similar with the plasma cutter and back it up the pully on the compressor side with a wrench... Then what, wail away on the pulley wrench with a big hammer? Is it right or left handed thread? Does everyone have this problem?

I couldn't budge it with an 18" pipe wrench last night, maybe the oil has helped, LOL! If worst comes to worst should I just pull the pully and get it loosened up in a vice? Will a gear puller work or will that break the pulley?

Thanks for the help.

red devils dude

I just had the same problem I gave up on one and used a spare and I even had the tool cranetruck is showing in the pic,
the thread's are right hand but there very fine so when it rust it get's stuck big time, you can easily remove the pulley with a gear
puller good luck may be try heat.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Try a product called yield. I had an aluminum dist. stuck in the block, and two days of soaking it, it came loose. I was very happy.

devilman96

Its just rust holding it...

With the bolts out gently use a chisel or screw driver and tap them into the grove on the pulley (the one that compresses when the bolts are tightened)... Don't go crazy and beat it to dead you just want to spread it a fuzz bit... Spray it down with PB or your poison of choice, give the pulley a few hammer taps, rotate to the other side and repeat. It should come loose there after.... if not try spreading the grove a little more just be mindful that cast parts love to crack easily!!!

When you get it loose take it off and anti-seize it... When adjusting the belt I have found it goes easier when I spray the belt and pulley down with a little lube and rotate it back and fourth after each stroke of adjustment. If your installing a new belt you will be retightening it in a few days of use.

abh3

The Kroil did the job, along with a 'cutomized' wrench and a large pipe wrench... Too bad it didn't matter as the replacement multifuel smoked and knocked as soon as I finally put fuel to it. :cry:, just like the one that was in it from Unc Sam!! I've been burned on a 'good running' engine I guess, not the first time... Oh well, $800, only 20 or so hours of labor changing out, plus oil, filters, etc... What a deal! Do ALL these LDTs have bad bottm ends?!?!?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knocking? Have you checked the timimg?

Patrick: According to the picture in the manual, the original has the handle offset or are there other versions?l

devilman96

Bjorn I have Kenny's wrench which I am supposed to be copying (and have supposed of done it 2 months ago :oops: lol).... it has the dual head cuts and offset handle also... I think he said he bought it from a guy in CA whom was making them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it from John Souza in Fresno. He made up a bunch and was selling them a while back. Mike, to be quite honest, I either forgot or didn't have the mempory engaged when I gave you that wrench. I honestly don't remember.

devilman96

I think ya brought it over the day you sand blasted that manifold???

I healthy fear of karma is a good thing... I may loan something and forget but when I am borrowing something I commit that to the ole hard drive up stairs!

abh3

Well Cranetruck, it's not really a knock, more of the deep 'sqeak' or 'ronk' racket that sounds to me like a bad main bearing, pretty much like the LAST engine... I can't win for loosing with these things!