• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid question re: Radio Power Bus

RangerBob

I don't know anything about CUCVs, but I would imagine that a comm radio power bus would be hot with the ignition off. If this is a 12VDC or 24VDC bus, there is nothing to shock you. Just go find your meter or buy a cheapo at your local hardware store and git-r-done.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M1008A1 has an accessory power outlet in the bed of the truck for communications equipment. Is that what your referring to?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:idea::!::idea:Unless the dc power is connected to an inverter to convert the DC power to AC you will not get shocked. Keep the connection dry anyway to save on your system.

cpf240

Yes, it is hot all the time, assuming it is still connected. It is wired directly to the 24v buss bars under the hood. My '09 didn't have the buss bars under the radio tray in the back, the cable just ended in what I assume is a connector for the radios. The end of the cable under the hood on my truck were all taped up with crumbling insulation, so I removed the cable.

mistaken1

Ohms Law V/R=I

24/1100=0.0218 amps

Ohm Check | DIY Electrical Forums -- The web's best DIY electrical community - Human electrical resistance

The electrical resistance of the human body depends on the condition of your skin at the time of measurement. If your skin is wet, you could have a resistance of only about 1100 Ohms. With dry skin, the amount is much higher at around 495,000 Ohms.

The electrical resistance of your internal body is much smaller at about 85 Ohms up to 575 Ohms.

Now let's talk about how this applies to getting zapped by electricity.

snip

The amount of voltage is not the issue in most cases, it's the amount of current (amperage) introduced into the human body that can kill. It only takes about .015 amps across the heart to kill a person. That's it, .015 amps! So the bottom line is no matter how little the voltage might be, always disconnect power at the breaker, and then check with a meter at the wall outlet, switch, whatever you are working on, to make sure power is really off.

Just sayin .... be safe.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
It's the amount of current through the heart that can be fatal. The current flowing through the water on the surface of your skin, not so much.

MarcusOReallyus

snip

The amount of voltage is not the issue in most cases, it's the amount of current (amperage) introduced into the human body that can kill. It only takes about .015 amps across the heart to kill a person. That's it, .015 amps! So the bottom line is no matter how little the voltage might be, always disconnect power at the breaker, and then check with a meter at the wall outlet, switch, whatever you are working on, to make sure power is really off.

Exactly right!

Ladies, gentlemen, and the rest of you, 12 volts can kill you under the right conditions.

I have gotten a very nasty shock from 12v, while working on a car.

Plenty of people in the telecom world (my world) can tell you how nasty a zap from 48 volts can be.

24v from these big batteries needs some respect.

mistaken1

It's the amount of current through the heart that can be fatal. The current flowing through the water on the surface of your skin, not so much.

Exactly. Depends on what part of your body is negative and what part is positive. Electricity follows the path of least resistance, once it gets through the skin it will flow internally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks