• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stupid trailer/Cucv question

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might haul it home, but I wouldn't tow that heavy trailer with a M1009, it is just not safe. The M1009 can haul a M416 or other 1/4 ton trailers, and some would even argue against towing a M101 3/4-ton trailer with it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Technical manual for the 1009 is clear, 1/4 ton trailers.

With that said, I often tow my M101A1 with very heavy loads but rarely for more than 2 hrs duration. I recently moved houses and roughly 20,000 pounds were moved 3 miles using he 1009 and trailer. Also have had up to 3100 pounds of mulch in the trailer for about a 20 mile drive. So it can be done.

Mike_Pop

1/4 ton trailers for the M1009 sounds reasonable for the way the pintle is set up. However, I've towed an M101 without any problems. I've also changed out my bumper and beefed it up which allowed me to tow my M101 with a Haflinger in it. I've also hauled my 14' trailer with about 6,000 lbs of stuff on it, across the country. The beefed up bumper makes a big difference in towing capabilities. However, the M1009 is still a dog with any trailer on it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling a heavy trailer/load, is one thing! Getting it to stop, is another. State laws usually say something about when the trailer weighs more the 2/3rds of the towing vehicle, trailer brakes are required. Everything will be "peachy", right up to the time there is a death or injury!

Lee in Alaska

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lee:
Right you are I had a small home built trailer full of tools that was about 3,000 pounds full and it pushed my loaded Travelall through a red light late one night on my move to Fort Eustis. I converted it to a surge brake that next week. The one I welded up a gooseneck for has been waiting for the already in the barn surge brake for years right now it is parked out back storing tools and hardwood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks