• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suburban conversion to HMMWV

BLK HMMWV

You must have deep pockets and an awesome fabricating facility to be able to turn a Suburban into a HMMWV.
Well since you asked I'd say sell the Suburban and buy a HMMWV or an H1 .
It will be cheaper in the long run and if you decide to sell it later you may be able to get some of your money back out of it.
A H1 is a better choice as far a plug and play HMMWV parts.

Good luck with your project.
BH

Avn-Tech

Surban HUMVEE

Riptideranch,

I have a set of Tremor plans & a chevy truck to convert.
Of course that is after I work on my real H-1 HUMVEE, 2 ea CJ-2's, Duece, 13 aircraft projects, Flight simulator projects and rebuild 3 more aircraft hangers.

Then today the wind took daown a couple of fences, that I need to fix.

See:
Pictures by avn-tech - Photobucket

The HUMVEE project is in vehicles, military.

Laterrrrr
Avn-Tech

RiptideRanch

Thanks for the input, so far, guys.

What I am thinking is to try to keep the creature comforts of the 'Burban, but get the off-road performance and funcionality of the HMMWV. So, as parts go out I'd like to change them to HMMWV parts or 1 ton~3/4 ton parts for better performance and durability.

To start with I'm thinking of changing the tires (needed soon) from 33" to the HMMWV pull-offs in 37". Since those fit 16.5" wheels and mine are 16", I was thinking of getting a set of HMMWV pull-off wheels as well. This should cut my cost of 37" tires from $1400-ish to $940-ish.

Any more wisdom y'all can shed on the topic?

Here's an '86 (mine is a '96) that's headed in the right direction:

Disciple

Ummmm. Well, as stated before, if you want off-road performance and comfort, forget the HMMWV and get a civvy H1. They come with leather heated seats, turbo-diesels, sat-nav, great stereos, CTIS, chrome wheels, etc etc etc. They come up for sale on ePay Motors time to time. Suburban does not equal HMMWV. How you planning on working around the geared hubs, etc?

It would be impossible to turn a Suburban into an actual HMMWV. There are cheesy looking fiberglass body kits. I saw what looked like a HMMWV from a distance until I noticed the solid front axle. LAME!
2cents

Last edited:

13 MIKE

Prices have come down on H1's. There were a couple ugly conversions that were priced higher than what i paid for the 96.

I think we all are a little confused as far as what parts you will be putting on.

Preacherboy

Also, are you looking to build up a truck to look like a hummer or for a truck with creature comforts that performs well off road...or what?

If you are looking for an offroad truck don't start with a 1/2 ton suburban, you'll be buying parts like crazy. And if you modify the suburban to sor to of "look like a hummer" it will be expensive and not worth much to the informed. You'd be better off to build off a H1.

Or you could build a sweet truck off a suburban platform, just keep it as a suburban...don't attempt to make it look like a Hummer. Also, hummer's only seat 4 as far as I know, if you wanted to fit more than that stick with the Suburban, that's what I did!

Thanks for the input, so far, guys.

What I am thinking is to try to keep the creature comforts of the 'Burban, but get the off-road performance and funcionality of the HMMWV. So, as parts go out I'd like to change them to HMMWV parts or 1 ton~3/4 ton parts for better performance and durability.
Front suspension parts front 1/2t are not interchangeable with 3/4t.

RiptideRanch

The 'Burban already has IFS, but a pumkin in the rear. I've blown 2 rear diffs and would like to upgrade the next time I blow it up. Independent suspension for the rear would be great for handling and performance. Mostly drive (e.g. lockable transfer case). I need the 9 seats and am not really concerned about the look of the vehicle.

Disciple

With the kind of money and fabrication you're talking about here why not just build yourself a custom rock crawler out of a school bus? Throw in a hot tub, refrigerator, satellite television, and a barbecue and call 'er good! :driver:

jamesfrom180

Portals under the HMMWV are night and day compared to anything you are going to get close to on the burban. If you want full independent and are going to keep the front IFS then look at a ford 9 inch out of a Jaguar. Of course alot of time will be spent fitting it in. But drop out center and some after market suport. Of course Dana 44 center sections and custom hubs are possible too. HMMWV/H-1 are really uncomfortable vehicles, both to work on and drive. Best to just build on your burban. Strip interior, boat side, half doors. Paint OD and call it Buffalo:grd: prototype.

Preacherboy

Riptide, your biggest problem is having 1/2 ton GM axles with 33" mud tires, that is why you are destroying your rear end.

You will need a GM 14 bolt full floater, best bet is to buy a non-running 4x4 1 ton chevy and put the suspension from that under it or go get a non-running 6.5 TD k2500 Suburban (I've seen them as low as $1,000) and upgrade that. You need stronger axles to run those large tires and doing off-roading with it.

To put in an IRS would be a lot more money that buying a w350 Dogde with a 6bt Cummins in it, then with those parts you could make your suburban into a m1007a4; but having a "base" vehicle that is 3/4 ton would make things lots easier! Keep it looking like a Suburban, upgrade axles and engine and you'll have an awesome 9 passenger truck.

RiptideRanch

Okay, Guys.
So, what about using CUCV parts.

Remember, my goal is to replace parts that go out with better ones, not just replace broken with breakable.

For instance, right now my 'Burban needs Power Steering Pump and AC line has a crack. Tires are in their last season.
Seems to me that I need a donor vehicle.

Preacherboy

CUCV parts won't get you anywhere fast...the axles are 4.56 gears or the blazers have 3.08, but they are basically the same axles on your truck that you broke.

Make things simple, I'd get a donor vehicle...a 1 ton dully 4x4 from 93 or after and put those axles under your suburban. You can probably get a non-running truck for cheaper than you could a CUCV (plus the CUCV has a straight axle up front). I saw a 95 on our local CL recently listed for $2200. Also, if you want it to be remotely close to anything military you will need a diesel engine.

You could build a sweet truck, just takes $$, know how, and time.

RiptideRanch

Hmm...I thought the CUCV was on a 1 ton or at least 3/4 chassis.
Thanks for all the input. The 1 ton donor seems like a great idea. I've even heard of someone using a dually rear and only using 1 tire on each side.

@ Preacherboy - Does the '93 and newer 1 ton have IFS?