• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suburban conversion to HMMWV

Preacherboy

The m1009 has 1/2 ton axles with 3.08 gears...the other CUCV's have 1 1/4 ton axles, but they are 4.56 gears. You don't get places fast with 4.56 gears.

I think 93 and newer 1 tons have the IFS.

See, we are the exact opposite! I want to put a straight axle in the front of my suburban! I want to get away from the IFS...

Just found a H1 in Memphis, TN for $16,500 on CL...wish I had the money, it would loose the gasser engine and get a 6bt and be done up right. But I doubt I could get $15,000 for my duece!

RiptideRanch

If I hadn't plunked down the dough to have all the ball joints, etc. redone, I would go to straight axle, as well. But, since I spent the money, I might as well get the handling. Especially if I plan on using it for some low key desert racing.

RiptideRanch

@Jamesfrom180 - It's unorthodox, but what the **** not?!?

@Preacherboy - Thanks for the updated stats. That opens my window up a bit. Although, I'd rather finda a '99 3/4t w/ 35k miles on it and it was rolled. :grin: That would get me all whisles and bells of a donor vehicle.

Preacherboy

My burb is a 98 k2500, 200,000 miles; but near perfect body and interior...just the #8 cyclindar wall was cracked. For now a rebuilt J code 6.2 is going into the truck.

Some day, the truck will get a Cummins and a straight axle in the front (if I don't get distracted with some other project!)

I also want a crew cab, but a Suburban is really nice for hauling lots of people.