• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Succesful recovery

firedog104

View attachment 475748View attachment 475747

Finally got around to posting this. Been looking for the right deuce for a few years, and found one on CL in November for $5500. Drove the jeep 450 miles to meet with the seller, a great guy who even took the time to lube it up before I picked it up. It's titled as a '60, but has seen the rebuild depot at some point. Air shift, 465 multi-fuel, winch, and a whistler. Everything works as designed. Gauge shows around 35000 miles, but either the odometer or the tach has been replaced, the gauge numbers are different from each other and the hours don't match up with the miles (unless it spent it's life at an average speed of 65mph lol).

So we loaded and secured my jeep using an earth loading ramp at the local fairgrounds, I started it up and drove away! And for the 450 miles home...........nothing happened. Which is a good thing of course. The outside temp was around 15f, so my "little buddy" heater was employed, but the LP bottle soon froze up and became worthless. I bundled up and prepared for a slow trip, keeping it in what felt like the sweet spot around 2200 rpm. Didn't use oil, didn't make oil, and returned almost 10mpg. Drove straight through and enjoyed every minute.

My 4 1/2 year old daughter named it "Grumpy". This is my first MV, and I wouldn't have done it without the info on this site. Thanks friends!

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Firedog, nice truck! Where did you recover it from and where did you drive it to? Make sure you list your location, it's a SS membership requirement. Congrats on the new Deuce!

firedog104

I found it west of Portland Oregon, and drove it home to North Idaho. Seemed to be a great price for what is out there these days, and no rust either. I'm happy!

mikey

Hard top, winch, nice paint and obviously a well cared for deuce. That's a great truck at a good price. Congrats and welcome to the addiction.

HILLBILLY 06

So, if you used an earth loading ramp at the fairgrounds to load your jeep in the back, "how did you unload it at the other end of your trip"??
The back of that deuce is a bit higher off the ground than a flatbed trailer, looks kind of scary backing down on a set of ramps....

firedog104

I used a dirt loading ramp at my local fairgrounds, only about 3 inches of height difference. Truck unsquatted only an inch or two when I backed the jeep off. I forgot to mention the truck came with bows and new canvas as well.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Firedog,
Nice find, worth the wait. Keep it dry and it will last forever, your daughter will be driving it with her children.
Welcome to the madness, be safe and have fun.
JC

dmetalmiki

A very nice looking truck and a good purchase. Your drive home sounded like a blast. Congratulations. (enclosed is a "permit" to get another and another &.......)!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's awesome. Such a great feeling to get your first one.

That truck looks great.