• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successfull 115 mile M105A2 recovery from Calhoun GA

jimbob1111

My son & I went and got my M105A2 @ the GA National Guard base in Calhoun GA last monday. I tried to kill 2 birds with one stone and that didn't work so well.
I was dropping off 1/2 cord of red oak in Mableton, then hitting 75N to calhoun to get the trailer. I traded the firewood for a 165K kerosene torpedo heater.
All the recovery gear had to go in the cab of 96 Dodge 2500 4x4 Extended cab. (no back doors)
2 high lifts, 3/4" drive Swench wrench, mag trailer lights & everthing SS members recomended in posts.
After 1.5 hr hold up with firewood guy, he wasn't ready. Left there late for Calhoun. Got there @ 11:30, met the fellow representing GL, real nice guy retired from that NG unit.
Tried to flip lunette, cotter pin was a NO GO. jacked up 1 side at a time, wheel bearings good, no brakes rubbing or dragging. Tires low, right 8 psi, left 20 psi. Hooked to trailer with pintal & tall hitch adapter. Pulled into parking lot so they could go to lunch. started ele air comp on right tire. 30 min later tire @ 20 psi, safety chains on, top chinched down tight & magnetic trailer lights on.
The load of wood prevented me from bringing a gas compressor. Tried 3 gas stations to find air or air machine. No dice, decided to drive @ 20 psi to the QT truck stop 8 miles south on hwy 75. 5 cycles of air machine per side to get tires to 50 psi. The trailer sat almost level & pulled like a dream, even with top up the cummins didn't hardley notice it. Next time I recover something I need to have a gas powered compressor in the bed of truck.
Thanks to the folks here I knew what I would need to make the trip a success.

James

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Just as a additional tip I keep at least 2 cans of fix a flat in case the tires need a little boost like yours did..... It will put them at an acceptable air pressure until you can get to a gas station . Of course provided they even have one ..........Glad your recovery went well ...

JAYHAWK 1962

i have one of thos electric compressors that plugs into the cigarette lighter says it will go up to 325 psi have not tried that yet, slow on the fill and i usually take an air bubble/tank so you are not sitting there all day waiting for the tire to air up.

jimbob1111

Hi,
I would normally have a 5hp service compressor with me, the bed full of firewood didn't make it possible this time. I have considered making a hose so I could use one of the mig welder tanks to fill tires & run air tools while out and about. I had fix a flat, I only use that as a last resort because I'll be the one getting it back out. Then all over me, the shop, LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks