• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successfully running waste oil as fuel!!

redwolftar

Call local trucking companies, cab companies, mining or excavating companies. Pretty much any company with any kind of fleet of vehicles. If they arent using it for their own heating purposes, they will give it to you. Otherwise they have to recycle it conventionally anyway. My excavator uses 40qts of engine oil every service which is every 4-6 weeks. It has 250gallons of hydraulic oil that gets changed about once a year. If you run 10 gal per week its only 520 gallons per year. That is a drop in the bucket.
Thanks for the advice. I'll get on it and see what I can find.

bill2444

I've been mixing the wvo and wmo for some time now and works well. about 40% wvo and 60% wmo. The wvo gives the mix a more plesant smell and less smoke. The wmo gives the mix more power. ( when people ask what your burning, you say wmo and they think your killing man kind. tell them wvo and they think your saving the planet and want to help) So i like to have that french fry smell.

goldwing2000

Banned
I've been mixing the wvo and wmo for some time now and works well. about 40% wvo and 60% wmo. The wvo gives the mix a more plesant smell and less smoke. The wmo gives the mix more power. ( when people ask what your burning, you say wmo and they think your killing man kind. tell them wvo and they think your saving the planet and want to help) So i like to have that french fry smell.
Thanks Bill. If you can do it up there, then I should be able to easily do it down here. [thumbzup]

bill2444

Everything works very well, but my wvo/wmo mix is in a separate engine coolant heated tank to keep the mix hot as i drive. Although i have run out of fuel and started cold/ran on the mix before. in the fuel tank would take a little expermintation with our climate. If your ever up this way i'll have a coulpe 5 gal. cubies for you to try.

goldwing2000

Banned
Oh, I have 18 cubes of almost virgin veggie oil and 2 of used fryer oil already. I just have to decide if I'm going to keep it in a separate mixing/filtering tank or dump it into my WMO mixing tank. I think what I may do is wait until summer (if it ever gets here) before I start experimenting with it.

bill2444

I have one IBC container with mixed wmo/wvo and one IBC with just wvo. Both filtered and dewatered. I am currious of the long term storage of the different mixes.

goldwing2000

Banned
IBC? Like the root beer?

I'm thinking about filtering 50 gallons of the WVO and taking it with me to Wright-Patt in two weeks so I don't have to stop for fuel on the way home! I can't take large quantities of WMO (outside of the tank) because it's considered HazMat but I don't think anybody will be bothered by some "corn-squeezins". [thumbzup]

bill2444

Looks like root beer inside! Ibc's are those big 275 gallon plastic containers with the metal frame work around them.
If you have your top on the bed no one will be the wiser. You could build a 2x6 craddle to lay the drum down with a valve and hose threaded into the bottom bung and a vent line out the top bung.

Smokinyoda

I like the idea behind that pneumatic pump, but MAN is it expensive!

That's the main thing I haven't figured out for my future setup yet -- the pumping mechanism.
Look into the sbc oil pump. If done right it is an unstoppable workhorse.

Insted of the normal approach using jb weld to hold it all together I have invested in the neccesary drill bits/taps so I can thread all fittings in. Might post a couple in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

goldwing2000

Banned
Looks like root beer inside! Ibc's are those big 275 gallon plastic containers with the metal frame work around them.
If you have your top on the bed no one will be the wiser. You could build a 2x6 craddle to lay the drum down with a valve and hose threaded into the bottom bung and a vent line out the top bung.
Ahhh, ok. I actually just picked up one of those a couple days ago for $50. :D

The problem with taking it to WFAFB is that I have to bring back two M105A2 trailers, so one will be in the bed. Plus I don't need that much fuel just to go 500 miles round trip! I do have a clean 55 gal drum, though.

SGT Estum: I'm using this pump from Harbor Freight and it works awesome.

hedgehog69

not for newer TDI's

Braver than me.

I'll run WMO, but after seeing what WVO did to a few Volks TDI's, I'll pass.
We had an 04 Jetta TDI and couldn't run 100% homebrew biodiesel, but was ok if we blended it down. We traded up to an 06 TDi and quickly discovered we couldn't run any homebrew. Never tried WVO...but thinking computer and sensors wouldn't go for it.

SGT Estum

SGT Estum: I'm using this pump from Harbor Freight and it works awesome.
Nice! I like that it's pump+motor in one unit so I don't have to burn up a drill running a sbc oil pump or find some other motor.

It's probably complete overkill for my needs, but I've always liked overkill.

Can't wait to slap down that 20% off coupon... HF isn't going to know what hit them!

goldwing2000

Banned
Nice! I like that it's pump+motor in one unit so I don't have to burn up a drill running a sbc oil pump or find some other motor.

It's probably complete overkill for my needs, but I've always liked overkill.

Can't wait to slap down that 20% off coupon... HF isn't going to know what hit them!
LoL. Yep, even at $40, it's a deal. Minus 20% is even better! I spent the extra $10 and got the 2-year no-questions-asked warranty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks