• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sudden bad oil pressure [again]

kassim503

So the 1009 is throwing another hissy fit again, this time with oil pressure. I dunked her in @ the SS Rausch Creek Rally last weekend pretty good. (Pics & video in another thread) After that we noticed 0-1 psi on idle, scooted it back to the campsite and flat towed it home where it recieved an oil change, using 15-40 mobil delvac, and one of those junky fram filters. Cold pressure is decent, 30-45 psi, about 5 psi lower than usual. But once it heats up its right back to 0, reaching about 20 running faster. The idle is accompanied with lots of lifter noise, and the sounds of me in a panic :-D

Im gonna run down to wal mart and see if I can snag a new filter before they close, try changing filters again.

I think the real problem isnt clogged filters or anything, this came out immediatley after the dunk. I dont think the pickup screen is clogged, pressure is great cold, and I parts washed it just a few months ago. Also the oil pump gears where regapped at the same time. Does the 6.2 have the tendency to break pressure relief valve springs in the oil pump?

That I didnt take apart out of fear the roll pin might eject itself later, the piston for the relief valve moved fairly easily with a screwdriver when I had it apart, almost too easily (push it down with tip of fingernail easy)

Westech

CPL
well was there water in the oil when you changed it?
Why on earth would you regap a oil pump and not just install a new/rebuilt unit?
If you have good warm oil pressure and bad warm/hot that is a sign of bearing problem. Clearance too large. If you dont hear rods slaping I would bet on cam bearings.

kassim503

There was not very much water in the oil, mabye at most a droplet or two by the time I drained it. Shoulda replaced that oil pump, but I needed it finished that day, and really wasnt interested in waiting till next weekend to get her done. Would bearings wearing out drop pressure that much that quickly? Mabye I should drop the pan to see if any bearings got spun / missing

mikes47jeep

If your gauge is electric, I would say it’s a bad oil pressure sending unit, or bad gauge

I had that happen to my Chevy C-10 a while back

I replaced my electric gauge with an old mechanical style one, and haven’t had an issue since

Last edited:

Brian H.

Chevrolets are terrible for the sending unit going bad. I have an old 1988 Chevrolet Astro Van that goes through them every couple years. Does your gauge bounce/jerk around any at all?

Unless you ingested water into the intake, or got quite a bit of water in the oil.. I can't see anything mechanical (just because of the water) suddenly happening to cause this, but I am not very familiar with the 6.2-6.5 family.

Last edited:

kassim503

ooh man its getting cold out!

I confirmed oil pressure is shoddy with a test gauge, its got a mechanical gauge hacked into the dash, yeah those electric sending units suck.

After that I changed the oil one more time and filter twice. The last two times oil pressure was bad but didnt wait around for it to go down to zero again. Like one of those last ditch attempts to save the bearings.

Removed the pan, main & rod bearings.

The pan had this muck at the bottom, felt like silt? Colored grey, thought it was bearing material.
With a sinking feeling in my stomach I pulled the front rear and center mains, actually in great shape, no wear at all.
Then pulled 4 of the rod caps, one in each group and those also exhibited 0 wear. Tried to look up into the camshaft area to see if anything was broken up there, no chunks on the block anywhere.

Cleaned the pan out, checked for chunks or flakes of anything, nothing but that silt stuff.

New oil pump came in today, and put that & the pan back on, see what happens tomorrow after the bellhousing gets reinstalled

kassim503

Grrrrrrrraua

Buttoned her all up, hit the starter and Click! hmm this dosent sound right, hit the starter again and, Click! Repeat 100x, no go, another burnt starter? Dang. It didnt even get to fire up for me :-(

Gonna try her every time I walk by until Monday, and order a new one, those pesky 6.2 starters sure are grumpy :p

kassim503

Oh, hey, speaking of the devil. Well kinda, wound up cleaning the old starter, and getting it to lump over one more time to confirm decent oil pressure. Its not good, but 10psi at hot idle is good enough for me. Then I got a new rebuilt starter, and took a little time working on a dana 60 front end that will find its way into this truck. Spent a few moments on replacing the GP's with some AC 60G's just because and....

Finally put the starter in, and got air in the fuel lines.:( Seems to be a torn lift pump diaphragm, leaking fuel into the crankcase when pressurized, so I plugged it and routed in a Airtex E8012S fuel pump and a improved spin on primary/secondary setup. Now its got 2 stone cold dead batteries that does not wanna take a charge for the life of them, and air in the IP. Gave it **** jump starting it, but with no avail. Got the block heater & battery charger plugged in right now, and gonna try her one last time tomorrow before taking a few solid weeks off on that thing, getting a wee bit too frustrated. :confused:

Shes just a grumpy ole gal isnt she? hahaha
Not to highjack my own thread, but wallowing around in diesel fuel with my nice craftsman jacket made it really stinky. I tried baking soda, huge doses of laundry detergent, and I think its on its, hmm 7-10th cycle through the washing machine and its still reeks bad enough for me not to be in the same room with it, are there any good products out there to power this stuff out?

kassim503

Gave her another try again, both batt's not taking any charge and two sets of jumper cables bring about a 40 rpm crank speed. Also found out the rear U-bolts were loose, almost to the point where it would let the axle go :shock: thats some really scary stuff considering just a few miles ago it was screaming down the interstate :shock:

I might fix it up and put it out to market, and replace it with a prettier 1008. This one is turning into a real basket case